Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Welt tearing

Started by 1960bus, September 26, 2011, 06:46:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1960bus

September 26, 2011, 06:46:25 am Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:49:15 am by 1960bus
Hi,

I'm just a hobbyist making some pieces for a car of mine. I have been having problems with my seat welt splitting off on a set of seat covers.  The welt/piping is hollow plastic welt and the stich holes seem to create a perforated edge.  I'm using a toyota walking foot with a 5mm stitch and a welt foot. It's realling annoying the covers look fine when finished but then the round part of the welt splits along the length. Has anyone experience this?  Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

JuneC

Maybe lengthen your stitch so the needle holes aren't so close together?  I never use that stuff on marine work for the same reason.  Make your own welting would be the best solution.  For a firm welting, the 5/32 foam core stuff works great.  But it's sold by the gazillion yard spool.  IM me your address and how much you need and I'll send you some (if you're in the US - customs is a PITA and I don't have time to deal with all the paperwork right now).

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SHHR

I don't use that material much, only on occasion if I'm doing an old truck seat or something of that nature that doesn't need to be a premium job. I Like to make my own welt too with the material I'm using on the seat with the foam flex cord. Like June said, check your stitch length. If it's too short it'll perforate too much and make it easy to tear away. Try a few sample pieces using different stitch lengths and see what works best. I use mostly a 6mm length on my Consew. Also, I'm not too familiar with your machine, but is it a compound feed or just a walking foot? Some walking foot machines I've seen will shorten the stitch length from what you have as a setting when going around tight corners or over extra layers and as a result you'll need to watch and help it along my possibly "hand wheeling" it around those areas.
Kyle

MinUph

It does sound like perforation is causing this. Try the above recommendations and also sew your welt on the first piece not sewing the welt up separately. It will eliminate one set of holes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

1960bus

Thanks for the replys.  I'll try a longer stitch and either stitch the first pass further out and the final pass with the welt foot or try it in one pass.

Thanks,

Dan

baileyuph

Quote[I'm using a toyota walking foot with a 5mm stitch and a welt foot/quote]

A 5mm stitch is closely equal to five stitches an inch.  Not inordinate.

Therefore, the question rises;  "Are you using preused welt in new work?

If new welt is being used, then how many passes through the welt is happening?

I have seen some sewers make multiple passes as an effort to get the seam closer to the bead.  That suggest an equipment problem.

As a comment, plastic piping is relatively strong stuff, manufacturers used it quite successfully for many years, I use it today to duplicate original type work with no problem.  Too many passes causing the failure of the welt is not a welt problem. 

Variables to think about are:  Number of passes, size of the needle, size of the thread, proper welt foot size (seam should be very close to the bead), and of course as has been pointed out, stitch length and is new welt being used?  I suppose for a purist, one could add thread tension to the list.  A smaller guage thread under a lot of tension could influence a cutting action.

Much of what has been said can also be applied to any welt, even custom welt fabricated in the shop.

Good luck, I have heard and possibly seen the brand of machine you have, they are widely used in Japan, I understand.

Doyle