Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:21:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Buying fabrics direct from mfg or importer

Started by vu, April 16, 2011, 02:52:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vu

I have several fabric suppliers who ship me cut yardage per request and I am dealing with 2 fabric manufacturers who I can order fabric directly, but they always want you to buy 100+yards and not always have all their prints in stock. I would like to get more variety of manufacturers and first hand suppliers of fabrics, where wholesale prices are $3-$6/yard, those guys who make fabrics for sunbrella, greenhouse, kast and others. Right now I am specifically wondering who is making or selling those Tommy bahama outdoor tropical prints, that just hit the market, at some sources they are $8/yard, I wonder what it's wholesale is.

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Vu, Have you ever been to the fabric expo in High Point, NC? It is called "Showtime" and it is a great place to meet representatives from different mills and importers.

They have the show twice per year (the next expo is in June).

If you do decide to go, represent yourself as a manufacturer and not a reupholsterer.  If you go as "only" a reupholstery shop owner, you will not be given the time of day at most  of the mills that are showing. They will refer you to the traditional wholesale houses. FYI: The 1st few times I went, I had special business cards made that stated that I was a "manufacturer of custom size specific furniture". I knew that if I wanted to be around the big time players I needed to look like a big time player (one more thing, by the time I retired, I was a manufacturer of custom furniture......one of a kind, true custom furniture)

Keep in mind, mills and importers want to sell large quantities  and so do not come to High Point wanting cut yardage or 1/2 bolts........that is why they have wholesale houses like Greenhouse, Barrow and all of the others.

What I have found in my visits is a "free education" from the makers of some of the world's best fabric manufacturers and places that would sell to a small manufacturer.

You might not find the Tommy Bahama rep but I can bet you will find someone that can tell you who to call.

I know High Point is not as easy to get to as Orlando or Vegas but if you are a serious shop owner and you are looking to expand your knowledge of fabric and fabric sources.....you will be rewarded for your efforts to get to High Point in June.  Steve

ahkahn

While $3-$6 sounds appealing, as Sterry said, you would need to purchase 100+ yards of fabric.  That is where the value of the distributor comes in, as we stock these fabrics.  You may purchase 100 yards of material only to use 20 of them...  it's a losing proposition. 

In addition, once you add freight, carrying charges, etc., you're not much better. 

-Andrew

vu

Thank you for great replies!  Carolina show info is highly uppreciated. I am thinking of getting a small line of 20+ choices of fabrics (that will fit my vision of the line of the fabrics I want to carry) and to become a supplier in my area.  100+ yards of each at average $4-5/yard will be a bit of a burden, but I have to try. I guess trade shows is the way to go.

kodydog

Hears another idea Vu. A fellow I worked for several years back used to go to manufactures in NC and buy remnants and out of stock fabrics. He built up a inventory of about 300 rolls of fabric.
When I opened my first retail business 20 years ago, I bought over 2000 yds at $.50 yd from a trucker who bought it form a designer in NYC. Sold most of it for $5 to $10 yd. Seeing you need such a small amount and are just starting out, you could make a few phone calls and see what they say.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

vu

That would be neat. The only trick is to get those contacts. I can only think of the trade show to get in touch with this people. Please let me know if you know easier way to find them.