Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hey everyone! Can you offer some advice on a sewing machine?

Started by magzray, July 18, 2020, 05:59:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

magzray

Hey Upholster Forum folks! I just joined this forum and I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm a cabinet maker at an interior design and fabrication shop, but I do some auto upholstery on the side as a side business (and I'm pretty new at it). My shop just asked me to help them start up a upholstery section so we can expand our furniture options for clients and I pretty much have full reign to bring in whatever equipment I want and need. So first off I've been shopping for some sewing machines. I have a JUKI DNU-241H at home that I love but for the shop, I've been looking at the 1541s and the 1508n.
It seems like either one would be a good option. I'll mostly be doing restaurant booths and bar stools. Maybe some other random furniture, but I want the option to be able to do thicker leather incase the situation calls for it, which is what brought me to the 1508n.
If anyone has any advice or experience with either of these machines, I'd appreciate some pointers!

thanks!

Upholster-staff

Hi there, please excuse the late reply.
We have no direct experience with any Juki sewing machines. Some models are fussy in getting the proper tension to sew thicker materials such as leather. Most walking foot machines should sew leather, even heavier leather if all the adjustments are correct. The Juki 1508N is a good machine but since the lack of direct experience with the machine I can not tell you much about it.
See the Consew machines that we have in our sortiment.

iralic

All of our new machines are Juki LU1510N-7.  We love them.
We specialize in decorative upholstery https://www.richardsonseating.com

glowacki

If you are a beginner I think Singer 4411 is the perfect choice for you. It's lightweight and the price is relatively affordable. I really love Singer machines and I have a couple of them for different work. Right now I'm using a 4423 for furniture work at my real estate in Cannes. I love it since it makes it easier to work both with light and heavy materials.