Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:27:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

seat padding

Started by 65Buick, March 20, 2020, 11:35:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Need some opinions.
This seat is coil springs on top of sinuous springs. The seat was padded with many layers of cotton. How would you re-pad it?

gdurl.com/ALr4

MinUph

Whats wrong with the cotton now?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Nothing really. I can put it back on. I was concerned there might be cat urine but I'm in the clear.

kodydog

I've only seen this type set up a time or two. I'm not a big fan of marshal units covered in cotton. You may consider replacing with foam. It will take some rather thick foam. 3" or 4". This will make it hard to not make it look pregnant. To avoid the pregnant look add a thick piece of edge roll. 2" should do it. And on top of that add several strips of cotton. Your foam will go on last with a layer of batting. I like to glue pulls to the foam so I have something to attach it to the frame. I've found burlap strips glued on with spray glue works best. 2 cents worth. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

What's the pregnant look? Too much around the edges?

kodydog

That's when the seat has too high of a crown. It makes the seat look unusually rounded like a basketball. Rose is a real stickler about this and I always have to admit it looks odd. It takes extra work to make a foam seat look flat. Its easy to crush or smash down the edges of foam when you pull the fabric tight. To avoid this you can staple thick, hard edge roll to the perimeter of the seat frame. But usually that will not be enough to build up the edge. I like to use several layers of cotton and feather it toward the center of the springs. When done the edge will be higher than the center and may look odd but once you add the foam and pull everything tight you should have a fairly flat seat. Its impossible to avoid the crown altogether but a slight crown looks much better than a pregnant crown.  If you've ever seen an antique chair with 8-way springs and horse hair padding notice how flat the seat is. Its a look that is pleasing to the eye. In my opinion anyway.

SteveA

I don't understand why a marshall unit with cotton couldn't be formed acceptably and still be comfortable ?  I would not change to foam but I'd like to understand why the foam improves the look, comfort etc.
65's picture showed a fairly nice old stable seat - looked like it would last another 50 years ?  What are the pros here seeing that I'm missing ?
SA

MinUph

Quote from: SteveA on March 22, 2020, 09:31:19 am
I don't understand why a marshall unit with cotton couldn't be formed acceptably and still be comfortable ?  I would not change to foam but I'd like to understand why the foam improves the look, comfort etc.
65's picture showed a fairly nice old stable seat - looked like it would last another 50 years ?  What are the pros here seeing that I'm missing ?
SA

There is no real reason I know of why a marshall unit on top of a good cotton base wouldn't be comfortable. It would be much longer lasting and more supportive. Unless of course the springs were broken. And if they were it's easy to change the unit out for a new one.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Its all personal preference. I like the firmness of foam. Of course everything would have to be run by the customer. But I'm thinking 65 is building this for resale. This is an unusual set up for a non cushioned seat. Without having the benefit of being there all I see is marshal unit and that makes me think squishy. 

SteveA

I wasn't understanding the logic because I wasn't sure if we're talking about replacing the decking or building a tight seat on top of the existing.  I believe the simple answer is to leave the existing old decking - a combination of synthetic horse hair - cotton - foam - and dacron wrap - just a 1 in. foam probably wouldn't require edge roll ? 
SA

kodydog

If by decking you mean a deck with a cushion on top, this is not that type seat. This is a tight seat with boxing around the perimeter. When Iain striped the seat down he tore the cotton off leaving a large chunk behind. I'm not sure if he can reuse the old cotton without making a lumpy mess.

If it was a cushioned seat and the customer liked it I would very carefully reuse the old padding. That's what I did last week to that furry wing chair I posted. It had a marshal unit wrapped with cotton. I wasn't crazy about the result but the customer liked it and really, that's all that matters.

Here is a photo of the chair before he striped it. This photo is from the new fb group Iain created. I hope he doesn't mind I shared it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=111602077143332&set=gm.238158697338199&type=3&theater&ifg=1

65Buick

There were many layers of cotton. The one that was torn, I discarded. I will place a fresh layer to replace that and staple it as it was originally done. Then, replace the rest of the cotton, and upholster it as it was originally done. I had considered foam, but I will do it the same way it was done at the factory.

65Buick

If you cover over the burlap with another piece of strong fabric and staple it to the side, that would help prevent the cotton from tearing or bunching up?

baileyuph

Which "pad"technique to implement?

I am influenced to think - you will do a good job, which ever elected.

But the one I might use would be the one the customer might be the most pleased.  Someone
thought this might be a resale issue (fixing to sell that is)?  Well,
again, I would be influenced by what my market might appreciate the most - selling it is an
important factor.

It helps that you know what will be the marketing avenue, and have first sight on what is there
to work with.

I remember the old style and they were beautiful and were very durable. 

But, marketing is important.  I couldn't open the face book photo.

Let us know what the final parameters are - I am sure it will be nice work.

Doyle