Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:33:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Loose Cushion

Started by evanbever, December 22, 2019, 06:54:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

evanbever

What is the best way to get a loose cushion on a large ottoman (40"x 30") to stay in place? I reupholstered one recently and  I sewed 1" velcro in an L shape(each strip 3" in length) near each corner on the base and under the loose cushion. Customer is saying that the cushion keeps slipping. Should I use a wider velcro or something else entirely?

kodydog

Just wondering if the Velcro was part of the original design. Was this ottoman reupholstered before. I've seen this method before. it is a poor design. And if velcro is part of the original design the customer should have told you "the cushion slips" when you picked it up. But too late now.

The proper way to upholster a cushion top ottoman is simiattached. But I have seen ottomans that for one reason or another simiattached would not work. I've also seen ottomans where the cushion was held in place with buttons. Not sure the customer would approve this idea. Short of taking the whole thing apart and creating a whole new pattern the only easy fix I can think of is gluing it on. Or perhaps wider or more Velcro.

Another idea would be to pick the seam apart and reach inside the cushion with a needle and button twine and somehow hand sew the cushion to the deck. Or reach in under the foam and using buttons poke them through the bottom plate of the cushion and through the decking. Then tie off underneath like you would a regular button. Then the last thing you would need to do is hand sew the seam back together.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

You might be able to do as Kodydog mentioned and sew it on but if the frame is open on the bottom you can do it from the with a curved needle and button twine. just make sure you grab the cushion with the needle.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

evanbever

The velcro was part of the original upholstery, the loose cushion has a center zipper on the bottom that goes all the way across the width of it, are you referring  to regular buttons or the kind you use in tufting?

kodydog

Skip the button idea and use Paul's idea. I don't know why I didn't think of this.

With the cushion in place simply turn the ottoman upside-down and remove the black bottom. Use your large curved needle with button twine and sew the cushion to the decking by poking the curved needle through the burlap, cotton and the bottom plate of the cushion. Kind of like sewing the front of decking onto a chair or sofa. Sew it around all four sides and when done pull it tight and tie it off. When done the cushion will not budge.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

evanbever

Thanks for the info, Happy Holidays