Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New guy looking for new machine

Started by Miket, October 03, 2019, 04:31:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Maybe its a bad motor. Never heard of this issue.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Check all the linkage from the pedal up to the motor. I always adjust the pedal with the motor arm in the full stop position.
Also make sure the actuating rod coming off the pedal is straight and vertical and not at an angle.
If you are still having problems give Bobby a call.

I have 4 servo motors on 4 separate machines and all 4 seem to have to have the speed dials adjusted at different positions.
None of them operate in an identical fashion.

Mojo

kodydog

Hi Miket,

Did you buy this machine from a factory setting? Some of those machines are set up for wide open all the time.  The first and only time I used a servo was working for a guy in south Florida. That machine was fast and great for sewing long runs of welt but forget about sewing a cushion with it. He had other machines I used to do more detailed work.

There has to be a way to slow that thing down. Different pullys maybe?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Miket

I sent Bob an email.

Thanks for the replies

Miket

Put a 50mm pulley on it and it has helped.
I think with some more practice it may be manageable and if not I will upgrade to a better quality servo.

Blucher

I recently bought an old Adler 67-GK373 and faced the same speed issue (Consew 550 servomotor). What I ended up doing is adding about 12" of aluminum tubing to the throttle lever on the motor, and reducing the motor sheave size from 3.15" down to 2.25" and it helped. Some of the folks on the leather forums apparently use jackshaft arrangements to slow down their machines a lot (and give more punch for leather).

gregory

December 20, 2019, 02:31:09 am #21 Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:03:18 pm by gregory
Quote from: MinUph on October 03, 2019, 12:27:19 pm
I agree with Chris on the 206RBs if they are older. If your looking at a new machine look hard at a true Juki. No knockoffs just Juki brand. 1541s are great. Make sure you get a compound walker / needle feed. The Juki's are still made in Japan last I knew. That is important.

Sorry for kind of hijacking, but I was recommended to have a look at your forum first before working on my project.
Since I'm a new guy too and looking for a new machine... well, here we are.
I worked with so-called heavy duty Singer before (yes, I understand it wasn't the best machine ever), and decided that it's time to upgrade. I would like to reupholster seats in my father's jeep and then switch to other projects, so I'm looking for machine that would work with vinyl and leather (not for a commercial usage, DIY projects and upgrades mostly). Currently I've narrowed down my options to Juki's and was looking for any feedback on Juki DDL 8700. Also I've been eyeballing 2010q as a non-industrial option. The main reason for choosing these two is the price, since my budget is about -$1000-1200 at max.
It seems to me that both are favorably reviewed on campers forums at least, so I'd like to know whether those machines could handle reupholstering. So I'd appreciate any feedback.

- Greg

kodydog

Might want to reconsider Singer sewing machines. Rose bought a 111-154 over 30 years ago. It was more than 50 years old at the time. With all metal parts its a smooth running machine with rare repair issues. Its an industrial work horse. Sews any type upholstery weight fabric including canvas and leather with no problem. Only thing I wish it had is reverse. It has a clutch motor but a servo could easily be added.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html