Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why Should You Always Buy Secondhand Furniture?

Started by kodydog, October 19, 2019, 06:39:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Why should you always buy secondhand furniture?

This question was asked on Quora. And a follower gave this interesting answer.

You shouldn't. While budget may dictate it, Be careful! Some used furniture, primarily older antique type, can have negative energy which can manifest as "haunted." You buy haunted furniture, bring it home, voila! Haunted house. Some people have good luck with smudging furniture, but I prefer not to take a chance. Most people may not be sensitive to this, but I am. New furniture is always a better choice for me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

That is a consumer choice.

Assuming every older piece is not true, there is not a statistic suggesting this. 

The matter, even if found, can be handled professionally, if noted.

Doyle

Mojo

Just curious. For you furniture guys..... Have any of you ever been possessed after working on an antique piece of furniture ?
If so let me know. I can contact my local priest to see if he can do an exorcism of you. :)

There are some weird people out there with some very strange beliefs so this guy is not alone. I have heard of homes that had horrific murders committed inside that resulted in the home being torn down because no one would buy it due to the publicity of the murder.

I have also heard of chairs/sofas that had to be taken to a landfill because someone died on it from natural causes but was not found for a day or two. I have a buddy who thought he really scored big when he bought a pristine IROC Z 28 dirt cheap. The inside smelled horrible but he never gave it a thought when he bought it. Turns out after talking with a relative a guy committed suicide in it ( Carbon Monoxide ) and wasn't found for several days ( in the summer ). My buddy completely gutted the interior and took it down to the metal. He used every cleaning solution he could think of and was never able to get all of the smell out. It still had a slight odor to it.

In my early years of adulthood I served my apprenticeship as a Mortician. My former father in law owned a funeral home and I later worked part time for him for 14 years. I embalmed close to 350 bodies during that time and several of those were people who were not found for several days. The smell is horrific. A few we had to take outside and into the garage to embalm to keep the smell out of the chapels.

Anyone ever run across a piece of furniture that someone may have died on ?

Mojo

SteveA

I guess that theory is possible on everything and anything ?  However in contrast I think of my buddy Jose who was born + was living in Mexico -  life was tough - hand to mouth - he was learning to sew curtains and do upl work.  A sofa was thrown out - he took it home for himself and decided to recover it.  Inside he found $ 900.00 in Mexican pesos.  It was a time in his life before coming to the USA he was barely surviving.  That Quora respondent forgot to mention he sells new furniture
SA

sofadoc

Putting silly superstitions aside, many upholsterers encourage their customers to shop the thrift stores for an older, higher quality second-hand piece and then have it recovered. Or see if Grandma has an oldie but a goodie she's willing to part with.

Great idea in theory. But much of well built furniture from the 50's, 60's, and 70's is now either at the landfill, or on it's 3rd-4th cycle of life. The thrift store pickings are getting slimmer every year.

I've heard upholsterers say "I don't work on this new junk. I only work on well-built older pieces". I don't see how they can base the future of their career on a constantly vanishing market.

And as for antiques, I'm just not sure that the pieces being built today will still be around long enough to someday be considered an antique.

Planned obsolescence may eventually be the ruin of our trade.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I've had lots of furniture possessed by spirits. Interestingly the spirits have always gotten into my house distilled and enclosed in a glass bottle.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

sofadoc, I'd probably agree with you on the obsolescence.

Sometimes, I'm happily surprised. If you're curious, check out Gina Berschnieder furniture, based in Los Angeles. Much of their upholstered furniture is custom made, and then custom upholstered by very skilled technicians. Apparently, enough of a market for quality work when people shun the IKEAs (or worse) of the world.

MinUph

Yes there is still some quality built furniture being produced. Not for the masses for sure but high end clients and designers have access to it. As for not upholstering the crap that comes off the mass production lines. you almost have to these days. At least some is put together normally LOL. Some is a challenge and that's cool.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BarneyNicks

It's economical and practical than new furniture while you find the right way (https://docsbay.net/tips-for-buying-used-furniture).