Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bonded leather

Started by gene, July 31, 2019, 07:50:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Have you ever covered over bonded leather on a chair? I'm wondering if I could spray glue a super thin synthetic fabric to the bonded leather and then put a slip cover of face fabric over the chair? It's for a friend and cheap and the smallest amount of time invested is the goal.

I'm sure the bonded leather will keep flaking and I don't want the flakes to be felt through the fabric.

Thanks,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

The bonded leather will continue to flake off which will release the glued fabric as well. My concern would be as the new fabric and bonded leather release from the polyester core if that will show through with an impression.

Myself I wouldn't do it as it looks like it could be a recipe for disaster. But that is just me and I am not a furniture guy.

Mojo

SteveA

I had to add foam to one of those egg chairs - the slip cover was fine but the foam was degraded underneath.  It was for my neighbor.  After replacing the foam in places I laminated muslin over all the foam left on the chair using fabric glue.  It's holding fine - its been over three years and that foam was from the 60's -
SA

gene

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and replaced the panels that were pealing. The panels that were against the body were the ones pealing so I only replaced those. The chair looks awesome. Green pattern fabric running down the chair with the original brown leather panels on the sides.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!