Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:31:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Declining

Started by 65Buick, March 05, 2018, 07:12:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Dennis, what a cool and classic neighborhood there. Is Lee St. the main drag?
I once stayed a night in Dallas, and had the best steak I have ever had in my life.

There's a major city/town up the way from me. But where I am is really nothing special, and a lot of it was developed less than 50 years ago. My particular neighborhood, about 20 years ago.

Mojo

We started our company in an enclosed trailer. I used the ramp door for cutting and had a plastic sewing table. I can still remember sewing in the Florida heat inside that NON air conditioned trailer. We then bought a house and I set up shop inside a spare bedroom. 3 months later business took off so I made a spare 10 x 20 room into my shop. Business kept growing so we expanded into our garage. Then orders really started pouring in so we are now leasing a 1,600 sq ft building in an industrial shop. We out grew that space in one year and are now looking for a building that will at least double our size.

I hate leasing mainly because I hate putting money into someone else's pocket. Our problem right now is trying to figure out where we want to relocate to. I have not had the time to do a study to find out where our best bet would be according to orders. Believe it or not, Florida is not our biggest State for sales.

Either way our end goal is to purchase a commercial property.

Mojo

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on March 08, 2018, 07:26:30 am
Dennis, what a cool and classic neighborhood there. Is Lee St. the main drag?
Lee St. is the OLD main drag. All the fast food joints and major retail moved a few miles southward toward the interstate highway many years ago. But downtown has seen quite a resurgence in the last 10-15 years. A few upscale restaurants and the dinner theater I mentioned. But aside from a couple of upscale boutique shops, still not much retail. Mainly the courthouse surrounded by lawyers and bail bondsmen........and oh yeah.....an upholstery shop.

If you got a great steak in Dallas, you must've paid an arm and a leg for it. All the steak places that I can think of on an upholsterer's budget are pretty mediocre.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

If you got a great steak in Dallas, you must've paid an arm and a leg for it.

That would probably be accurate. Though it was back in 08. We were on a splurge, and stayed at the Hilton. It was a good time. On the way back from working a summer in Michigan.

baileyuph

Yes, to all reasons stated.

Another is some are only looking at price, not quality.

Commercial space, high quality materials, and good marketing!

The market, much don't have a clue about the work requirements.  Market to the where the money is,
those are a lot less to worry about a few bucks and will not compare you to the Asian imported new
prices.

Going forward, shops will have to be smarter, the younger people are more "new" oriented".

I stay busy!!

Doyle