Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Coil springs

Started by 65Buick, September 11, 2017, 10:49:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I thought I was supposed to have a large seam allowance with the front facing and the decking, and use that seam to sew everything down.
And also, I realize with re-upholstery that certain things are easier and make more sense to do a little differently that original. What you are saying with have 2 pieces for the front facing and a seam at the edge. This makes sense to me. But would I need to worry that seam would be stressed and possibly fail down the road?
And finally, I couldn't figure this out but they used a grommet and a very small bolt snap attached to a little elastic that was fastened to the rail. I assume this is because the curve at the front edge is very difficult to fasten, and this made it a little easier.

I just want to make sure before I start cutting and sewing that I really know what I'm doing.

MinUph

Two ways to do this front seat band.
1 - one piece with sewn pleats on the top area to makeup the curve. If you have the old pattern it would probably be close.
2 - two piece where the top piece is the shape of the front edge and face piece is a straight cut sewn with or without welts to the top piece.
You need to stitch the seat down to the burlap so the sew strip I mentioned b4 is used for that. 2 - 3" piece sewn to the top seat piece down the center line of the 2 - 3" sew strip.
I'm not sure why you think a larger seam allowance is needed in the seat seams. Also not sure what the grommet and elastic is for or where it was.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

January 03, 2018, 12:51:31 pm #47 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:10:01 pm by 65Buick
I think I see what you're saying.

My point about the large seam allowance for between the facing & decking is so you use that extra fabric to sew down to burlap.

Current situation: http://gdurl.com/EjGT

Pretty happy with the spring-up. Though I saw a custom piece on instagram, thing was flawless. You look at the 8-way tie and everything was perfectly even. It was amazing.

MinUph

Looks pretty good 65,
  One tip on the burlap. It need to be tight. And when you staple down the front staple it to the top of the rail and then turn it to double or triple the thickness. The more you put on the front of the rail the more it is possible to be bulky. When you pull the burlap front to back lift it and pull it towards you not down just across the top of the springs then lay it down the front and staple it. This will make it tight and not pull the edge wire down. At some point you will see a piece of burlap on a job that is stitched around the perimeter to tighten it without pulling the edge down.
Keep it up your doing great.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Man this thread's getting long.

Anyway, here we are:
http://gdurl.com/txYr

The burlap was originally just pulled down straight, I think to give it a nice flat front. I will have to stuff the front edge a bit to fill it in. Edge roll hog-ringed and sewn into place. Sturdy.

Played with some scrap. Seems to be easiest to do it the way it was done before. Pleat the facing and sew that to the decking.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I put this cotton on the seat. But I wondered, do I want to put it on the front facing like that? down below on the frame I also am not sure. I have some half inch foam and maybe a little dacron.

http://gdurl.com/RhgY

SteveA

You should cover all the wood of the lower frame - 1/2 in. foam is good.  How much higher can the seat be ?  Maybe it's time to cover the cotton with muslin and see how well you formed the front deck rail.
SA

MinUph

Are you putting a skirt on this? If so I kill the cotton at the skirt so the welt sits tight on the frame. No bulge under the skirt to make it puff out. If no skirt pad to the bottom edge of the frame and finish with a base welt.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

It amazes me in upholstery how changing one small thing leads to 'well, now this won't look nice'

Anyway, my main concern here in the covered spring edge, the front. Having not yet actually had a spring edge, I'm unsure of how to pad that if necessary, without there being problems down the road. Normally I have a sprung seat, and on top of that foam, and the facing of the foam is all there needs to be attention to.

Here I have a burlap edge roll, and burlap spring edge. So what kind of material can be used that will have repeated stress and not fall apart of get matted up? Obviously I need something otherwise the fabric will probably see more wear.

kodydog

Two things, you will be hand sewing the deck on. The deck will be machine sewed to the seat front. Using a large curved needle you will sew the seem salvage to the burlap, catching the springs as you go along. You need a break in the cotton where you will be sewing in order to get that seem pulled down as close to the burlap as possible.

The cotton on the front of the seat needs to be smooth. This would be a good time to rip the cotton about 4" back from the front edge and replace it with a nice smooth piece of cotton. This will also give you that break in the cotton to sew the deck down to the burlap.

Another idea would be to add another layer of cotton to raise the top of the seat front about an inch higher than the deck. The seat front needs to be higher than the deck to help keep the cushions from sliding forward when sitting on them. And at the same time a fresh layer of cotton will cover the lumps on the front of the seat. And if you are not adding a skirt you can place this smooth piece of cotton all the way to the bottom of the frame.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

This is where your hands come into play 65. You are going to rely on feel more than anything. Your hands can tell you many things by feeling in this trade. The filling you have on the front looks like it might be too much. Hard to tell by looking but think of it this way. You sprung it up new burlap so you have a new seat, a blank canvas, so to speak. You want to fill the top area back to the stitch line and up just over the edge roll with the old cotton making it as smooth as possible. Then when this feels good add another full piece of cotton over the whole front section down to where the skirt will be or all the way to the bottom without a skirt. As for the the deck this really should be done first. This is the area behind the stitch seam and back to the back. The front section has to be a bit higher like Kody said. I lay a yardstick on edge on the deck and front seat and make sure there is at an angle making the front taller. Feel it all, all the time with your hands. Get them use to being your eyes for filling purposes. You will eventually be able to feel a staple under layers of cotton. Probably a slight exaggeration there but the point is made.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

The good news is that I have the front added higher, it's flat, and looks good.
The bad is that I've screwed up the facing twice trying to pleat the front (sewed to deck). I just cannot figure put how to wrap the front spring edge and get it tucked away all nicely. Plus, if I had kept anything this would be the part. But no, I tossed it
So next I am going to cut two sections, the top & the front and then sew together. That wy when I get to the edge it won't be a problem
Extremely frustrating as I feel I should be well into the IB at this point, the main part of the piece, and the main learning.

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

It worked. Just need to sew the decking back on and then I'll put up a photo.

I figured if anything it will be good practice for when I get to sewing the cushion cover. Which will be tricky but I do want it to be as precise as possible.