Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sole proprietor

Started by 65Buick, November 09, 2017, 02:24:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on December 04, 2017, 05:27:25 pm
This can be troublesome if you get a customer who takes advantage of that, though.

Not if someone else deals with it :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: 65Buick on December 04, 2017, 05:27:25 pm
I actually had a discussion about this.

The advent of technology is changing people's brains. In addition to that, the human brain can process written words more efficiently. Ever say something you didn't mean? That's it.

Now that we have written messages it allows us to more concisely state our point.
And, it is now a legal thing. Written messages may be referred to more easily for reference if something goes wrong.

As far as timing, yes, people are now getting even more impatient. You don't respond, they will find someone who does - immediately. This can be troublesome if you get a customer who takes advantage of that, though.

Good points Mr Buick. I was having a political discussion with my sister. Right before she unfriended me she accused me of plagiarizing. When I''m making a point especially when debating politics I try to make sure my facts are correct, my words are used correctly and my T's are crossed. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 edits.

In our business we have found that with e-mail being so impersonal we get a lot of "not really serious" requests for estimates. 3 or 4 a day. Often from people outside of our service area or even out of state. We have also found that when giving a serious estimate we better get as close to accurate as possible. This means Rose has to ask lots of questions and have them send a photo. Of course the first question she asks is, where are you. People who are just shopping price don't realize this uses lot of valuable time and takes away from productive work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Yes Kody I can understand the frustration. Often people don't realize that we are small shops, etc, and that we don't have the manpower to give detailed quotes on a whim. It is frustrating though as everything becomes more and more "I want it, and I want it now"

Mojo

Our businesses, being internet based brings us a ton of e-mail and text traffic everyday. I prefer these mediums versus people coming in the door for a visit or calling. I can answer the e-mails and texts at my leisure and during breaks. Returning phone calls is a PITA. I was returning calls last night till 8 PM. This is what happens when you are a National company and have west coast customers.

In regards to cell phone use our stitcher leaves his phone on the lunch room table and does not carry it. He turns it on and returns personal calls and texts on his breaks and lunch hour. I refuse to allow an employee to have their cell phones on them during work hours.

I would love to know a semi-accurate figure of the lost productivity of employees who use their cell phones during business hours or answer personal calls and emails. It has to be in the billions.

Mojo

kodydog

Re-Posting this https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/devices-probably-ruining-productivity-heres

Responding to an Email Could Cost You 28 Minutes

Gazzaley stresses that our tendency to respond immediately to emails and texts hinders high-level thinking. If you're working on a project and you stop to answer an email, the research shows, it will take you nearly a half-hour to get back on task.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Yes that most definitely is true. And the brain focuses well for only 1/2 hour at a time, at the most. Concentrating type thinking.

I think that people want a prompt answer. If they expect instantaneous answer, well, you probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

byhammerandhand

Quote from: kodydog on December 07, 2017, 04:22:22 pm
Re-Posting this https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/devices-probably-ruining-productivity-heres

Responding to an Email Could Cost You 28 Minutes

Gazzaley stresses that our tendency to respond immediately to emails and texts hinders high-level thinking. If you're working on a project and you stop to answer an email, the research shows, it will take you nearly a half-hour to get back on task.

The same is true of interruptions, "Hey, gotta minute?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Can't argue those points!

Doyle