Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:33:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sole proprietor

Started by 65Buick, November 09, 2017, 02:24:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

As I stated in the other forum, spammers are winning here.

Yet I will keep posting until there is a solution.

And today my question for everyone is: those of you who work solo, how do you prevent yourself from going bonkers?
I have a dog, but he is not a substitute for a human.

SteveA

I thought you were going to say "Bankrupt"  - another topic for self employed.  Today medical coverage informed me that my premium will increase by over $ 500.00 but the deductible will stay level at  $14,000 - ain't this a load of crap -
I have two dogs that keep me sane :)
SA

sofadoc

The 4 walls of my shop really close in on me. Facebook upholstery groups, and other forums like this one help me keep my sanity.

I have a commercial store front, but in this kind of business, that only equates to a couple of customers a day.

My daughter works nearby, so she bums a free lunch off me every day. Otherwise I might go bonkers myself.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Yes four walls and solitude can cause claustrophobia. For me opening the garage door invites the occasional neighbor to stop by. Many neighborhood children are very curious as to what is going on inside my shop. But best of all is the neighbors dog who stops by every day to munch on a few biscuits.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Indeed, bankrupt is another topic.
Tonight I attended a local designer's meeting. The competition among furniture companies is fierce. It did not make me feel much better about re-upholstery. I suppose some custom work, here and there.
These designers are raking in huge amountso of money.

rachellambert

Yes, check, please, another topic
I like this site because only here I can find a lot of interesting and useful information about things that I am interested in

byhammerandhand

Quote from: sofadoc on November 09, 2017, 04:59:24 pm
The 4 walls of my shop really close in on me. Facebook upholstery groups, and other forums like this one help me keep my sanity.

I think that might be up for debate? 
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on November 30, 2017, 03:31:03 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on November 09, 2017, 04:59:24 pm

I think that might be up for debate?
I'll have you know I represent that remark.

kodydog

Quote from: 65Buick on November 09, 2017, 02:24:14 pm
And today my question for everyone is: those of you who work solo, how do you prevent yourself from going bonkers?
I have a dog, but he is not a substitute for a human.

I would much rather have my dog to keep me company than most humans. But then I am a grumpy old man. :(

baileyuph

Left alone?  Might allow a lot to get done.

Doyle

Mojo

Doyle:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I am driven crazy during the day taking tech calls, answering e-mails and taking orders. Ingrid and I split the two companies. SHe is in charge of the awning company and I run the manufacturing company.

The older I get the more I cannot handle the constant commotion so I have reverted to working mornings to handle calls and take orders and then go home. Sleep for a few hours and then go into the shop after closing. I can get 3 times the work done at night alone then I can during the day. The other thing I have found is that when alone with no distractions I make very few mistakes and can stay on task.

Maybe it is age or something but I find it harder to get back to where I left off when I get pulled away from work or distracted.

Mojo

kodydog

Its not just you Mojo. According to this guy your brain can only fully and efficiently focus on one thing at a time. I honestly do not understand people who feel they must be plugged in 24/7. It drives me bonkers when conversing with a customer or business associate and they stop me in mid-sentence to answer their phone. Its especially bad in the work place. People feel they must react to a text message immediately. I have had people get upset with me because it took more then 1 hour to respond. People these days, especially the younger crowd spend more time responding to messages, both work related and personal, than they do creative work.

How the Digital Age Zaps Productivity

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/devices-probably-ruining-productivity-heres

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 04, 2017, 10:48:23 am
People these days, especially the younger crowd spend more time responding to messages, both work related and personal, than they do creative work.
I have some customers that get furious if I don't respond to their texts immediately. Yet if I were to call them, they let it go to voicemail.

MinUph

Not to be a naysayer but I like the email and texts I get from customers. It keeps me off the phone. My secretary was told by me to treat them just like a phone call. Respond as quickly as possible or they will call and waste her time and probably mine. Technology is good if you can make good use of it. I guess if I was alone I would not feel the same.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I actually had a discussion about this.

The advent of technology is changing people's brains. In addition to that, the human brain can process written words more efficiently. Ever say something you didn't mean? That's it.

Now that we have written messages it allows us to more concisely state our point.
And, it is now a legal thing. Written messages may be referred to more easily for reference if something goes wrong.

As far as timing, yes, people are now getting even more impatient. You don't respond, they will find someone who does - immediately. This can be troublesome if you get a customer who takes advantage of that, though.