Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sticky: Contact with admin.

Started by KenB, October 16, 2017, 11:23:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 23, 2017, 06:46:37 pm #15 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:47:17 pm by gene
"Besides, a Russian bot - or any bot - would not be able to post relevant answers to your question/comments."

I could say that bots are getting pretty sophisticated these days. But I won't. :-)

I literally learned about Poe's Law this evening.

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Inger: I do apologize for any trouble I caused by not making it clear that I was joking. Maybe the "paranoid American" comment was a bit too real. :-)

We had a spammer a few years ago and so many people replied to it with such funny comments that Ken posted a note saying that he was having too much fun reading it to delete it immediately.

I will certainly not reply to any more spammers.

And again, on a serious note, thank you for your help. I just got my first smart phone this year so I certainly do not have the tech savvy to be of any help to you. If I did, I would certainly volunteer.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Inger-in-Norway

October 24, 2017, 05:09:50 am #16 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:32:14 am by Inger-in-Norway
No problem, Gene. It was no trouble for me at all. I could of course also have posted a link to this forum: https://www.coffeecup.com/forums/ where I have 'resided' for the last 11+ years and have submitted the odd post now and then. It was actually there that Ken found me 4 years ago. Here is the start of our acquaintance ;) http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/website-design-and-development/backgrounds/?post_id=221353&page=1

Mojo

Inger:

Have you ever heard of the forum software Invision Power Board ?

Mojo

Inger-in-Norway

No, I haven't. Maybe I'll take a look, but I'm not the one calling the shots here regarding this forum. I only do what the site owner tells me.
I may perhaps change the colour scheme here, so that it fits in with the newly launched site itself. We'll see what the 'boss' says. ;)

kodydog

October 25, 2017, 09:28:16 am #19 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:34:58 am by kodydog
I wonder if this forum switches software will past posts transfer to new software.

I think one of the problems this forum has retaining new active members is the difficulty to post pictures. This forum was created before Facebook became popular. Back then we had 30 or 40 active members. One by one they joined groups on Facebook, a site that is much easier to use. This Forum uses outside storage for photo use. Photobucket has always been a hassle to use and lately it is so unbearably aggravating most members refuse to use it. This is sad because photos are a big part of the discussion on this forum.

I'm wondering if this program Mojo speaks of is more user friendly and maybe adds some neat Facebook options like a thumbs up if you like a comment someone has made. Or sub comments when responding directly to a posters comment so not to lose the idea behind the main topic.

The more active this forum becomes the more clicks your "boss" gets on his website. We all know that is the main reason he is the sponsor here. And the more money he makes the more money you make.

It seems like this forums software is outdated and that may be one reason you are having a hard time learning it. That's not a put down to you Inger, just an observation.

If you can explain how these ideas can benefit him he may be more open to receive them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

I agree with Kody 110 % - photobucket has become a brute to use -
SA

Inger-in-Norway

I have enabled something called 'Karma', see left, below your name. I tried some, and a '+1' appeared.
I have also tried uploading an image, but that doesn't seem to work. Have to look into that...

Inger-in-Norway

October 25, 2017, 12:30:02 pm #22 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:45:13 pm by Inger-in-Norway
I have searched for a way to publish images. In the settings it says 'path not found'.
Then I tried uploading an image to a server and with plain html to show it - no way.
Tried bulletin board code - nada.
Tried php - zilch.

I understand your frustration over not being able to post images. I'll see if I can find a way.

kodydog

October 25, 2017, 05:04:35 pm #23 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:17:46 pm by kodydog
I could be wrong but it was always my understanding that Ken's server didn't have enough memory to handle all the data that thousands of images would take.

If you can program with HTML and write code you are far more advanced than I am. I am an amateur when it comes to this stuff. I'm a point, drag and click guy.

If you can figure out a way to upload images without using an offsite source you will advance this forum light years ahead of where we are now.

Btw I hit the applaud button under your "karma" but I'm not sure if anything happened.

Okay I get it now. I just applauded and smited Steve and he got 1 point for each. Sorry for the smite Steve I'm not sure if I can erase it now.

Okay I just applauded Steve again and his smite went away.

My Karma is positive.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Invision Power Board is a high end forum software used by many different companies. The NFL, MBA, NBA, Madonna and other recording artists, NASA the list goes on and on. It is an amazing piece of software and very powerful. It is extremely secure.

Just wondered if you had heard of it before Inger. My son is the CEO of Invision and owns the company.

www.invisioncommunity.com/

Mojo

SteveA

I have no idea how different web sites post photos but what I find great are these estate sale sites.  Any average home owner with very little computer knowledge can post 50 photos easily..  On the weekends I can look at items for sale before driving the the home.  What kind of program gives them that ability ?
SA

Inger-in-Norway

Inger-in-Norway

So, finally I got an image to display here.

What I did was uploading it to my own server, and then linked to it using BB code.
It is not possible to upload images to the upholstery server, the reason might be what codydog says. I have given up investigating into it after spending hours on it last night.

If you are not familiar with the method I used to make the image display, I could try to explain it to you. I haven't yet checked if images on Facebook, Instagram etc will work. I may try.

65Buick

Not sure what a BB code is. But it looks good that you got an image to upload. Certainly being able to post images from IG would be great for me, as I am always seeing things that I would like to share or ask questions about.
Off topic: do you see aurora borealis where you are in Norway?

Inger-in-Norway

October 26, 2017, 01:16:03 pm #29 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:26:42 pm by Inger-in-Norway
To post an image, you need to have some place to upload it to the web. For those of you who have a private or company website, that shouldn't be a problem. What I do is creating a dedicated folder, at the time being I have one called 'stuff', and then I uploaded the image of the full moon to that. to display it, you need the path to it, mine is http://eikweb.com/stuff/autumn-evening2.jpg. To make it show here in this forum, you need to place the BB code bits [ img ] in front of the path, and  [ / img ] after the path. Mind you, you need to remove all the spaces! I just put them in so that the code itself displays, otherwise you wouldn't have seen it.

I did test with an image from Face book, but that didn't work. I think you need some place to upload to where all identifying path comes before the actual file name, not after, like Face book, Drop box etc..

And yes, we sometimes see the aurora borealis, or northern light, but where I live, in the south, it is not as impressive as further north.