Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:13:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sticky: Contact with admin.

Started by KenB, October 16, 2017, 11:23:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KenB

October 16, 2017, 11:23:17 pm Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:48:28 pm by Inger-in-Norway
Just testing after upgrade. Please ignore.
"The more you depend upon conditions outside yourself for happiness, the less happiness you will experience" -Yogananda

sofadoc

Quote from: KenB on October 16, 2017, 11:23:17 pm
Just testing after upgrade. Please ignore.
Well, whatever upgrade you did......it ain't working.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

KenB

What exactly is not working?
"The more you depend upon conditions outside yourself for happiness, the less happiness you will experience" -Yogananda

kodydog

October 21, 2017, 06:02:02 am #3 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:13:40 am by kodydog
The spam is gone. That's good. Last month we all had to turn off out smiley faces because a spammer planted some kind of bug. No big deal, my smiley faces stopped working years ago. Is that what the upgrade is all about?

My profile picture stopped working last year but I think that has something to do with photobucket.

The preview button is no longer marked, once again no big deal once you figure out where it is.

I'm just glad there is a forum where some of us old curmudgeons can get together and rant about our latest whacked out customer.

PS: I just noticed when I quote someone it is not highlighted.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: KenB on October 21, 2017, 12:18:31 am
What exactly is not working?
Well it's working now. But at the time that I made that comment, we had over a dozen spam posts.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

KenB

Just so that you know: Ken retired 2 years ago. I'm not Ken, I'm just using his admin log-on. My name is Inger, and I am from Norway.
This forum is new to me, and I was not the one who upgraded it. If I find out where that report-span button has gone, I will of course put it back, but I don't know all the ins and outs of this forum software yet.

I spent most of the morning hunting for spam, and I'll keep an eye on it, so that I may nip it in the bud when the next lot comes in. As I said to one of you who messaged me, we seem to be having a 'Russian invasion', up to 20 new registrations every day. I can't just block anything ending in .ru, because there might be some serious ones among the spammers.

SteveA

Hello Inger -
Thanks for introducing yourself.  We all appreciate this forum and your work here.  I have seen spam destroy forums i.e. Fine Woodworking so please know we are loyal but look for immediate solutions before we see the site get overtaken. 
What's your background ?  Trades person and Computer science ?

Regards,
SA

KenB

I'm not an upholsterer. I started working with Ken 4 years ago to make his website adaptable to all sort of screen sizes.  Then Ken sold his business, and I kept on working for the new owner. We have just gone live with a new version of the site and web shop, you may have seen it. There are still some things that are not working properly, among them some page links. That is what I'm working on now, to get it corrected.

Eventually, when I get better known with the forum software, I'll create my own log-in. But this SMF software has a lousy user forum, so I never get answers to my questions. If someone here has a good grasp of the SMF forum software, then please  come forward, send me a message. ;) I could actually do with someone who could help.

Inger

Darren Henry

Hi Inger. Thank you for keeping this board going as well as you have. I've been having my morning coffee on here most every morning since Feb. '04. I've learned a lot, made some very good friends and hopefully have been able to help some here and there. Loosing this board or having it compromised would be very sad indeed.

I do however have a problem with you're being in Norway---Now I can't whine about our Canadian winters. LOL. Hopefully we get more snow than you and I can whine about that from my little "smoking tent" on the back deck.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

KenB

Whine as much as you like! ;) At the time being we are flooded with rain. Should have sent some of it to California, by the looks of it.

gene

Not to act like a typical paranoid American, but how do we know "Inger" is who he says he is and not a Russian bot? Just asking.

If you are who you say you are, Inger, thank you for your work. I too have enjoyed and benefited from this forum for many years.

You mentioned a new version of the web site. It that this that I am on? Or is there a new link to the new one?

Thank you again for your work, (If you are indeed Inger.)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

KenB

October 22, 2017, 03:29:04 pm #11 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:33:57 pm by KenB
If you doubt that I am what I say, please contact the site owner. Not through this forum, though, that will just end up in my inbox, but go to the index page of this site, http://www.upholster.com and find a contact link.

I would rather not post an email address here out of fear of getting spammed (!), but if you trust your fellow forum member Baileyuph, he can confirm that I'm the webmaster here, as I have been mailing with him regarding those awful images that appeared some time ago instead of smileys and some avatars. He also knows that I'm not a 'he'.

Besides, a Russian bot - or any bot - would not be able to post relevant answers to your question/comments.

kodydog

October 22, 2017, 04:33:49 pm #12 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:36:41 pm by kodydog
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain named Gene. Sometimes our sarcasm does not translate well to the internet and even more to Norwegian. I feel confident you are who you say you are.

Several years ago Ken informed us he found a buyer for this forum. But to my knowledge he never told us if the deal went through. And we kept getting posts from him once in a while. It was confusing. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think the biggest struggle this forum has encountered over the last 7 or 8 years is the loss in active membership. There was a time when new posts would fill a whole page. Lately we may go 2 or 3 days without any new posts.

If you would like suggestions how to solve this problem consider asking the members.

Once again thank you for your hard work.

Ed :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

October 22, 2017, 04:48:58 pm #13 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:09:43 pm by baileyuph
Inger is now responsible for supporting this site.  She demonstrated a high skill level in fixing spam that
had become a major problem on my log-in. 

Inger studied the problem, got me back on site, I am grateful to her service.  She will prove over and
over to be an asset.

Thank you again Inger.

Doyle

Inger-in-Norway

October 23, 2017, 01:53:18 am #14 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:55:06 am by Inger-in-Norway
So, I have made my own admin account here, which I will be using from now on.

I have to ask you one thing: If you discover a discussion started by a spammer, please don't post anything in the same discussion. Removing it is more involved then, and besides, anything you post will then disappear along with the thread itself.

And BTW, thanks for verifying my existence, Baileyuph. ;)