Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:26:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need a refresher on v berth cushions

Started by jojo, May 29, 2017, 08:06:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So I lay the foam on the fabric and trace for the top plate and then flip the foam and trace the bottom plate. Am I adding seam allowance? The cushions are about 5.5 ft long and 3 ft wide at the widest point. Where am I making my hash marks, since the top and bottom plates are different sizes? Also. Is there anything special to know about the boxing, or am I just cutting the proper length?  Thanks in advance. I do these so infrequently that I'm unsure of myself.

MinUph

Jojo,
  When we do these I cut the foam a bit oversized but not a full inch unless they are getting wrapped. As for the boxing the straight sides of the cushion the boxing is normal. Where the bevel meets in front and rear the boxing will be angled. I make them a bit long and adjust when sewing them on and making notches on the top corner and bottom corner of the boxing, sew it together and then finish sewing the boxing on. Just like when ending a normal boxing.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

Thanks Paul. What about alignment marks? There are notches and curves, and since the top plate is bigger than the bottom plate, I fear I'll have a twisted cushion in the end. Should I just find the centers on eac of the plates?

Darren Henry

I often make alignment marks right on the foam and then transfer to the top and bottom plates and boxing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Quote from: jojo on May 30, 2017, 07:02:37 am
Thanks Paul. What about alignment marks? There are notches and curves, and since the top plate is bigger than the bottom plate, I fear I'll have a twisted cushion in the end. Should I just find the centers on eac of the plates?

Centers help and then just line up the corners and stretch it in place you need to sit back a little to get the stretch out then hold it at a workable length, sew some and do it again.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Interesting. I hadn't heard of these so I had to look up what they are. Does look challenging.

Mike

I will ad to paul the boxing along the hull side following the curve of the hull will be slightly "c" curve  shaped