Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:09:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Quick Question for Marine People

Started by jojo, March 30, 2017, 06:36:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Is it wrong to use Sunbrella binding on a cover made from Top Gun? Opinions please! Thanks!

Grebo

March 31, 2017, 05:28:00 am #1 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:29:14 am by Grebo
Both marine suitable materials don't see a problem as long as it looks ok.

jojo

Thanks Greco. They're both gray. I don't want to buy a roll of top gun binding because it will sit in my shop till end times. Also, I may have under quoted the cover. 😬

Darren Henry

I wouldn't have a problem with that. We use 7/8" sunbrella centerfold binding on everything even though I've only used sunbrella once in the last 7 years.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

April 02, 2017, 09:00:04 am #4 Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:09:42 am by brmax
My first roll was sunbrella as i could not locate marlen products.
Honestly i think a breatheable edge could be a benifit.
I would like to get some other colors in the future. Although some types are easier to bend around im not so sure on. I first used that regular hard to bend stuff untill i got done with a cover and a pro give me one of them are you crazy looks. They then discussed locations and great differences in usages. A blessing! But i will say it is some tough stuff.
Always listening and learning from you all

Good day
Floyd

Mojo

We have used different brand bindings on many different fabrics over the years.
It is no biggie. We go for color match or contrast, whatever the customer prefers.

For instance we use Recacril Burgundy tweed acrylic fabric and trim it with Tempotest
Burgundy or black binding. We just did a patio awning in Sattler dark grey and trimmed it with Tempotest light grey. We use the binding colors to make an awning POP.

Chris

Mike

chris are you still using recacril? buying direct?  I used last week plack sunbrella binding on phifertex screening so ya I will mix.   

Mojo

Mike:

We only use Recacril in Burgundy Tweed. We buy a full roll at a time direct as we keep this color in inventory. Otherwise we use Sattler and fill in on other colors using Tempotest. We have an agreement with Sattler for cut yardage on special colors. Recacril and Docril will not do cut yardage. You have to buy full roll quantities. There are just a couple colors Sattler does not carry so we go with Tempotest.

Sattler is our number one - go to acrylic. 10,000 toppers and awning products and we have yet had a warranty claim on their fabric. In 10 years we have never had a warranty claim with Solarfix.

Our direct replacement warranty is 4 years so we have to be very careful on which fabric/thread we use. This is why we will never use Sunbrella.

Chris

Eric

Chris, I have never had a problem with sunbrella (so Far), but I have with recacril. I will say, I have recently been hearing of sunbrella issues, mainly fading, changing color.

Mojo

Eric:

In the awning business stretching is a bad thing. Especially with RV awnings. Sunbrella stretches, sometimes badly.

I also heard from some in the mill industry that they changed their fiber mixing to China as well as their chemical formulas.

Recacril used to be a great fabric but their quality went down hill big time. There have been a lot of claims from companies using it.

Tempotest is made in Italy and Sattler is made in Germany. Both are the best acrylics in the world. Sunbrella is rarely used in Europe and is considered junk there.

Chris

brmax

Im positive items made in Europe are the
primary choices of items used in mfg. over there.
The tarifs, fees or other charges added
to " non " European Union products is great.
This cost is mentioned in every post i read from
others across the big pond needing products to help
them in their business or lives.
This i find interesting and is a consistant topic in post,
with equipment and machinery.
Granted many products are just not made here
anymore. But I will say products made here in
North America are unsurpassed.
Being were talkin textile, marketing is a two way
discussion in the real world.

Good day
Floyd

Mojo

Floyd:

From the fabric experts I have talked to who I consider some of the very best in the industry, they say Europe is miles ahead on fabric technology and manufacturing, versus the USA.

Some have visited all the big textile mills in the world and all say Europe has a lock on textile weaving and finishing.

Chris

Grebo

Quote from: Mojo on April 07, 2017, 02:37:32 pm
Eric:

In the awning business stretching is a bad thing. Especially with RV awnings. Sunbrella stretches, sometimes badly.

I also heard from some in the mill industry that they changed their fiber mixing to China as well as their chemical formulas.

Recacril used to be a great fabric but their quality went down hill big time. There have been a lot of claims from companies using it.

Tempotest is made in Italy and Sattler is made in Germany. Both are the best acrylics in the world. Sunbrella is rarely used in Europe and is considered junk there.

Chris

Have to disagree with you there Chris, from what I see Sunbrella still has a good name over here & the 'cushion' grade is still very much the best for colour retention, although I do admit I use far less marine weight now than I did say 10 years ago, mainly because I discovered Reacril & there is a huge price difference, clients still ask for Sunbrella by name but I tend to steer them toward reacril. We don't see much of the Sattler although it has been available for a while now I haven't tried it yet. Spain is somewhat behind in cover making & clients slow to change ideas. So it may be a different matter in other areas of Europe. Some of the big canvas manufacturers like NV (France) still use Sunbrella.

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on April 07, 2017, 02:37:32 pm
Eric:

Chris
SUNBRELLA has never been a problem except once with striped awning canvas  I had th white stripes rot in a year.   yes it streaches but you can pattern for that its the shinking with snap on covers were the owner could no longer snap then is were recacril shined but they say tempotest is the same. BUT I DONT KNOW