Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:26:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Soft furnishing general

Started by 65Buick, December 09, 2016, 12:50:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

For all: what are the most popular items people are seeking out these days? I heard a guy on the radio talking about room dividers now. Any consensus there?

gene

I'm still staying busy with regular furniture upholstery. And I've done more cornice boards this year than any other year.

I've never done any room dividers. I've seen them online but usually in connection with DIY projects.

It would be great if there was a major trend of new type business.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

I too see furniture being the most business as of late. I do have some cornices in the schedule and some commercial work (booths) but Furniture is the mainstream product still. I would like to build cornices and headboards as a full-time business, (secondary of course). But don't see the need being large enough as of yet and the cornices kinda run in spurts. I've only done one wall divider in the last few years, a big three section 8' tall with nail trim all around. Way to many nails :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Interesting. May I ask who's asking for cornices?

MinUph

That would be customers and designers.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Around here, the designers send all the cornice work to the drapery people.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Many drapery people are women who work in their homes. I have several drapery people who are women and they do not want to make big cornice boards, so they have me do it. I also have several who have me make the wooden frame only and then they do the finishing.

The majority of my cornice boards are for IDs directly.

When I started 12 years ago I was told from several different people that there were over 2,000 drapery people in my area. If that was correct, I would guess that today there are no more than half that many.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

Gene is that because of the economy? 2k sounds like you live in a big area. My city of nipomo is 15k I think. Neighboring cities have 100k to the south and 50k or so to the north.