Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 09:20:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bimini Help

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 20, 2016, 11:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Directed towards Mike or anyone else doing marine work.

I have a double bimini to work on.  Customer would prefer to only replace the side torn.  I think that's a mistake as matching vinyl, just even due to aging, will be a challenge.  Plus I figure that if one side rotted and tore, the other side is likely to in the near future.

However, I'll do as the customer wishes.  Right now I'm having issues matching color, not to mention selecting the correct vinyl type.  So, do you generally use Sunbrella?  If so, do I just go to the Sunbrella that says is for bimini or is there a particular Sunbrella fabric I should use.  If not Sunbrella, what is the name and do you have a vendor you would recommend?

Thanks!!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

MinUph

Sunbrella is not vinyl. And the top grade is called awning weight.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

So even though they have a grade they call marine, do you recommend against it? (Sunbrella)?  The other boat cover I worked on was when the manufacturer provided the material so this is a new adventure for me.

Thanks!!!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

MinUph

I see Glenraven has renamed the awning grade sunbrella to Marine. No difference as I know. My vendors still call it Awning grade. There is awning grade and cushion grade. They are both the same products but the cushion grade is thinner. I like the fabric myself while some canvas people do not. I will turn this over to Mike.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks Paul, that makes sense as I've seen a couple of samples that are different thicknesses but was unsure why and thus how to go about ordering the correct thickness.  I appreciate your input!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

MinUph

No problem Virginia,
  I would confuse me seeing marine as a type of Sunbrella as both thicknesses are considered marine usage. It seems Glen Raven has changed completely their terminology and their website. So that all said be sure to order it as either awning or topping grade. Not cushion grade for a Bimini.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Quotef not Sunbrella, what is the name and do you have a vendor you would recommend?

A lot of the factory tops on pontoons sold up here are made of "Top gun" material. You might want to find a sample of it to compare before you order Sunbrella. It may be a closer match.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I would steer clear of Sunbrella. The new Sunbrella is nothing like the old and its quality pales in comparison to Sattler or Tempotest. The other great thing is both marine fabrics do not stretch.

I work constantly with the manufacturers of acrylic fabric and know who is producing good stuff and who is not.

Contact Chris Leal at Miami, give him my name - Chris - and tell him what you need and he will ship it to you. 407-408-5534. If you do not have an account or the time to set one up with them I will give my permission to piggy back off our account. You can order under Stone Vos and pay them with a credit card but run it through our account, bypassing having to set one up. If you need vinyl then ask him about Top Gun. I am not sure what Mike is using for vinyl these days. If you want a real rugged vinyl ask him about Tuff Stuff. 18 oz's and is rugged as heck.

While Tempotest is a much better fabric then Sunbrella it actually costs less. Tempotest BTW is made in Italy. Sunbrella is made in the USA but is no longer a vertical product anymore. I believe their fiber mixing is being done in China. Sattler, Docril, Recacril and Tempotest are all vertical companies. Sattler is made in Germany, Recacril & Docril in Barcelona, Spain and Tempotest in Italy.
European acrylic fabric is far superior to Sunbrella which is why we only use imported acrylic.

Chris T

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks Chris!

I'll give him a call tomorrow and get things rolling!

I will definitely take your advice about steering clear of Sunbrella.  Want to wow this guy so that he will want me to recover his seats.  I did a project for his work vehicle last year.  Cannot remember the name of it but it was basically an open vehicle other than a windshield.  He put plexi-glass for the back window and I had left-over fabric from a vintage car project and made side doors.  He said he's nice and toasty warm now when he rides the ground in zero and below weather.  Nice to have him as a repeat and would like to keep him that way.

I'll let you know how we come out.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Grebo

I am mainly using 'awning' canvas now, local suppliers sell Reacril doesn't stretch like sunbrella & a lot of the colours are the same.
Sunbrella do 'marine' coated & uncoated canvas the coated feeling thicker & stiffer with one side looking sightly darker than the other, cushion fabric is much thinner & softer they do others but that's the main ones I have used.

Suzi

Virgs Sew n Sew

Hi Chris.

Caught up with Chris from Miami this morning.  He's a very nice guy.  He's limited to what he can do for me since I'm out of his district but he gave me the name and number of one of their customer service guys.  I have a message into Keith and expect I'll hear from him either Friday or Monday.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

byhammerandhand

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on November 23, 2016, 03:56:07 pm
I have a message into Keith and expect I'll hear from him either Friday or Monday.

to which I respond:

"You talking to me?"

"I got nuttin."

"I know nutthing." (about biminis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on November 23, 2016, 03:56:07 pm
Hi Chris.

Caught up with Chris from Miami this morning.  He's a very nice guy.  He's limited to what he can do for me since I'm out of his district but he gave me the name and number of one of their customer service guys.  I have a message into Keith and expect I'll hear from him either Friday or Monday.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Virginia

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Chris

Mike

tempotest is a lot better much heavier ill see how it compares to recacril I liked that a lot but I havnt had any issues wth sunbrella marine I like the stresch when fitting a canvas drum tight . I just did a job this week boat covers and a new bimini in red I savw just over $200 bucks on red tempotrest over sunbrella

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mike on December 02, 2016, 06:47:50 pm
tempotest is a lot better much heavier ill see how it compares to recacril I liked that a lot but I havnt had any issues wth sunbrella marine I like the stresch when fitting a canvas drum tight . I just did a job this week boat covers and a new bimini in red I savw just over $200 bucks on red tempotrest over sunbrella

Good to hear from you Mike!  Do you have a POC or number for tempotrest?

Thanks!

Virginia
Fuck this place.