Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:34:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Vehicles?

Started by 65Buick, October 30, 2016, 04:27:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

I'm in a need of a vehicle for my upholstery. My first choice is one the new ford transit connect vans. They're too expensive for me right now. I'm looking for something easy to load, gets 25+ mpg. What's everyone driving?

Thanks

MinUph

We use a 2013 GMC van. Extra long and can fit lots of furniture in it. I bought it used a couple of years ago. It's a good van. I have other employees drive it and couldn't afford new and didn't want to anyway. Years ago I would buy new Chevys every 2 - 4 years for the write offs. I drove them for my personal vehicles also so I knew how it was treated.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I don't think anything beats a van for this kind of work.  Mine is ford 250.  If you need 4 wheel drive that's another consideration. My van is 15 years old and runs great.  I have M+ S tires - the rear has slip differential - sliding side door - v 8 -
I had the chevy van before this one and wasn't as happy. 
SA

kodydog

October 31, 2016, 04:31:55 am #3 Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:35:53 am by kodydog
2003 Ford E-150 with a v6. This is the first vehicle I bought new and couldn't be happier. We bought it at the end of the model year and got a great price. At 185k miles it still runs great. Original transmission shifts good and the engine runs smooth and doesn't leak oil. For big jobs we tow an 8' covered trailer. It'll also pull a pop-up camper in the mountains with little problem. If I ever buy another I would be tempted to get the v8. It gets 16 to 18 mpg. I'm not sure about gas mileage these days but it may be difficult finding a van that gets 25 mpg.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Thanks for the input. Luckily I have a uhaul guy right down the way that rents vans like those fords.

byhammerandhand

I've been driving a Honda Odyssey for about 5 years.   22-24 mpg around town, up to 32 on expressway.

The middle seats come out and the third row folds down into the floor.   

When I bought it I brought it home, took out the seats, picked up a couple of sheets of 5/8" BCX plywood, next day I made some racks & drawers that fit behind the front seats and have accessibility on both side doors.

Prior to that, I had a 2003 E-150, smaller V8.   I got 12-16 mpg.   I decided to give it up when it needed tires and brakes, and I'd spent $4000 the prior year on fuel.   I could carry a lot in it, but rarely needed all the space.

If you do a lot of driving, and occasionally need to haul multiples of large pieces, I'd opt for a more efficient vehicle and a cargo trailer.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison