Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 10:47:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone who has personal experience with Reliable Corp SewQuiet 6000SM motor?

Started by utvairs, September 13, 2016, 07:57:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

utvairs

Greeting fellow upholsterers! I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post in years. I recently dug out my Brother DB2-B797 to clean it up, update it, and start on a new project. Part of my update is to replace the clutch motor with a new DC servo motor. After doing a lot of research, I settled on the SewQuiet 6000SM by Reliable Corporation. I chose it for a number of reasons, but mainly because of the foot-controlled variable speed.

With great excitement, I carefully unboxed the motor. First thing I did was spin the pulley, and right away I noticed that the pulley and the end of the shaft appeared bent. I plugged it in and spun the motor under it's own power, and sure enough, it's not spinning true.

I would like to get some opinions on whether or not this looks abnormal to anyone else. Your opinion would be particularly valuable if you have had personal experience with this particular motor, or any other servo motor.

I know from personal experience that a stamped steel pulley can be out of round and work just fine. But this is a precision machined part, and that shaft definitely shouldn't have that much wobble in my opinion. I'm worried about premature belt wear and premature failure of the motor, not to mention varying tension on the belt, which could result in a surging sensation as I'm sewing.

I've taken a video to show it, but I can't get it small enough to attach here. Would anyone be willing to let me email it to them?

Thanks in advance,
Blaine Sanders

sofadoc

Email it to me, and I'll post it on Photobucket with a link so that everyone here can view it.

sofadoc@gmail.com
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

utvairs

sofadoc

I have 2 servos. I just got through watching them spin. They spin almost perfectly straight with no real visible wobble.

If it were just the pulley, I wouldn't worry about it. But it looks like the motor shaft is spinning a little crooked.

Where did you buy it?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

utvairs

I bought it through amazon from the manufacturer. Their technician just replied and confirmed that it looks defective, and that they will replace it. Other than the bent shaft/pulley, I am very pleased with the motor. It looks like a high quality unit, and the speed control is very smooth. So far I am also pleased with their customer support. I will report back when I get the replacement and get it installed.

brmax

I checked one with a dial indicator, a U.S. manufactured tool. The measure taken very close to a 90 degree on inside groove of the pulley resulted .003" variation, an earlier measure of the outside surface varied .020" and thus reason my check on the belt running surface. I will say in your video it looks odd and nothing resembling any of mine, so be patient and good luck with the replacement. I happen to like my three of that brand but only the last is a 6000, with these 2 were through Keystone Greg and so will continue their service, I think they may take a further look n see, these they sell and include a new belt to boot. I do like that the servos like this brand are actually quiet.
good day
Floyd