Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:49:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wingback Chair Reupholstery

Started by Leather Collector, January 14, 2015, 07:57:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather Collector

I recently reupholstered a Wingback chair pictures of the before, progress and the completion can be found on my http://www.pinterest.com/pin/536561743079779365/
This was the hardest reupholstery project I've attempted and while not perfect I'm pleased with the results.  I'd love to hear some feedback.

Follow me on twitter @collectleather
See my Shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeatherCollector?ref=hdr_shop_menu

sofadoc

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. It looks like you had a rough time. Especially with wrinkles in the curved areas.

But if you learn from your first experience, the next one will be remarkably better. Make more relief cuts, and spray some water on the leather to make it more pliable around curves. The seat cushion is too wide between the arms. You might be able to add some batting that will draw it in some.

All in all, it's probably way better than my first one was. So you're off to a good start. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Leather Collector

Quote from: sofadoc on January 14, 2015, 08:24:37 am
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. It looks like you had a rough time. Especially with wrinkles in the curved areas.

But if you learn from your first experience, the next one will be remarkably better. Make more relief cuts, and spray some water on the leather to make it more pliable around curves. The seat cushion is too wide between the arms. You might be able to add some batting that will draw it in some.

All in all, it's probably way better than my first one was. So you're off to a good start. 

Certainly something to be said about an honest critic (thank you). And I'd thought I'd done a decent job for my first attempt  :-[.  In any case all I can do is try again.  In other news I have picked out my next project and needless to say the upholstery work is quite a bit simpler. See pictures of the chair here  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/536561743079817128/

sofadoc

I agree. You DID do a decent job for a first attempt. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

That was a difficult chair for a beginner. With the experience that you gained on that one, I'm fully confident that the simpler one you're going to tackle next will come out at a professional level.

Take "baby steps". You kinda dove off into the deep end on that first one. But now, you're way ahead in the game.

Post in General Discussion for more responses. A lot of the regulars here don't ever look at the top of the page for the Green Room board. You'll find that most of them aren't as crotchety as I am.  ;)

Good luck, and keep 'em coming.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban