Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tying springs

Started by 1unique, January 10, 2015, 09:11:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1unique

I have a couch in my shop with springs and edgewire. I'm a bit stressed on the proper application on where to start. my question is  "Do I completely take edgewire off to re-tie strings first? " I've watched videos and read til I'm exhausted. I'm a hands on learner. It also has tension springs that need to be replaced. I'm pretty good at copying what was original. but its stretched out.      Thank You,   Kim :)

MinUph

On a spring edge there is no reason to remove the edge wire. Just make the clips are tight and it is centered at both ends before you start.
I start on the right row. Make your side height just above the lower arm rail making sure the springs are straight up and down. Your front spring might end up a bit forward on the top but that's because of the thickness of the front rail. I completely tie the height of the edge wire I want and then just copy that height on down the rows as I do them making sure the rear of the front spring is just lower than the front by say 1/2" to 1". This gives you the angle for the front of the seat to be slightly higher than the deck.
  Don't get stressed it only makes it worse. It's only twine and can be removed and redone.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

1unique

January 12, 2015, 06:43:18 pm #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:46:09 pm by 1unique
Thank You so much.Great explanation.   I appreciate your time. Til next time!