Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New seat baords for dining room chairs

Started by joleih, July 12, 2014, 08:27:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

joleih

I am recovering 4 very old dining room chairs.  When removing the 3 layers of fabric on seats, the cushion disintegrated into dust and the seat board is full of staples and nails and seems weak. I can't find any instructions on actually replacing the board. What type of wood/material should I use? What do I need to use to cut them?

byhammerandhand

I use 1/2" poplar plywood.    I suppose even BCX plywood would work, if being a bit more rustic.  Avoid the imported junk plywood from the big box stores.  These have lots of voids, crumbly layers, tend to warp, and in the same piece can have anywhere from 3 to 9 layers as the plies are just laid up haphazardly.  There are other engineered wood products such as MDF and OSB that might work,  but I'd prefer something a bit nicer.  My thought is that if you are going through the time and expense of re-upholstery, no sense saving a couple of dollars on substandard boards.

As far as cutting, normally there are rounded corners, so I use a jig saw or band saw that can cut curves.  You can cut the straight sides on a table saw.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Highly suggest those instructions are followed and you won't be disappointed, wood screws will be more effective using higher quality wood, as suggested.

Doyle