Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 01:14:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

'nother new toy

Started by sofadoc, July 04, 2013, 07:43:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Picked this up today:

Keystone lists this model for $550. I gave $100. It appears to be in near mint condition.

I don't do that much bulk cutting. So I'm not sure how and/or how much I'll use it.

Any suggestions?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

Nice Toy.   8)
I would probably use it for cutting bias strips.
Or may be a pile of reinforcing shapes if it goes through tough stuff.
Will it do foam ?

Suzi

gene

Kool toy!

How about cutting seasonal shapes of meat? Heart shaped steaks on Valentines day for the grill. Star shaped steaks for Christmas? etc., etc.

Now that's a suggestion!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: Grebo on July 05, 2013, 01:35:00 am
I would probably use it for cutting bias strips.

Quote from: gene on July 05, 2013, 04:50:25 am
How about cutting seasonal shapes of meat? Heart shaped steaks on Valentines day for the grill. Star shaped steaks for Christmas?
I could be the only butcher anywhere who can say "WE ALWAYS CUT OUR MEAT ON THE BIAS". :D

Quote from: Grebo on July 05, 2013, 01:35:00 am
Will it do foam ?
I've heard of people using cutting machines like this one for foam. But I already have 2 Bosch foam cutters.

Mojo

Wow, I would have never guessed it would cut a single layer of fabric so smoothly and without bunching it up.

What type of blade does it have ? Spinning disc ?

You furniture guys get to use all those cool tools. :(

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on July 05, 2013, 05:08:22 am
What type of blade does it have ? Spinning disc ?
Here is the blade (reciprocating):

Mojo

Pretty amazing that it doesn't bunch the fabric up. Looks like one heck of a cutter.

You been prowling E-Bay again ?  :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on July 05, 2013, 07:06:46 am
You been prowling E-Bay again ? 
Are you kidding? If I had bought that off E-bay, they would've got a hunnert, Paypal would've got a hunnert, and FedEx would've got a hunnert. I'd be out at least 3 Benjamins. And the poor sap who sold it to me would be lucky to break even.

Actually, I get a lot of those "neat" tools from a travelling supply salesman, who brokers deals between me and other shops on his route that owe him money. Or they just give him the stuff to satisfy their debt. Then he offers it to me. Foam saws, steamers, sewing machines, button makers, various hand tools and supplies, etc. (I guess these people never heard of Craigslist). There are a lot of old-time upholsterers that ain't caught on to this new fangled internet.

bobbin

Stack cutter.  Nice score!

sunshine_n_pc

Dang....I've been looking for one of those.  If you get tired of it, let me know, I'll buy it :O 

Seriously, how accurate is it?  I was just worried about buying one without trying it out and it not being what I needed.  Instead I bought a 6 x 12 foot mat and I'm using a rotary cutter.  Mat is well worth it.  Makes that rotary cutter so much easier to use and keeps blade much sharper.  But I can only do 4 layers at a time - If I could cut 20 with same accuracy.....hmmmm.....I am a thinking I might start looking again....You definitely got an awesome deal.   

sofadoc

July 21, 2013, 12:39:27 pm #10 Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:42:57 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: sunshine_n_pc on July 21, 2013, 11:15:29 am
Seriously, how accurate is it?  
Other than cutting welt strips, I seldom have a need to cut multiple layers at once. I've been playing around with it, but haven't really mastered the art of cutting several layers without some slippage. I guess I need some weights on the table to hold the fabric down?

Here I am cutting some welt strips. This is "tack-on" welt, so precision accuracy isn't necessary:

Instead of pushing the cutter through the fabric, I just fold the material several times, and pull it through.

If anyone has any tips on how to best use it, I'm listening.

MinUph

When I first saw this new toy I thought it was a foam saw but watching you cut welt I see the tubing part coming down close t the foot and see foam wouldnt get through that. So maybe these should be used on a vacuum table? That would hold the fabric in place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 21, 2013, 06:30:54 pm
When I first saw this new toy I thought it was a foam saw but watching you cut welt I see the tubing part coming down close t the foot and see foam wouldnt get through that.
The tubing part can be raised or lowered. It's actually an excellent foam cutter (up to 5"). But I already have 2 Bosch foam saws, so I don't really need it for that purpose.

baileyuph

Dennis what is the brand name and model number or any other information labeled on the cutter?

What did the previous owner use it for, ever hear?

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on July 21, 2013, 07:06:39 pm
Dennis what is the brand name and model number or any other information labeled on the cutter?
What did the previous owner use it for, ever hear?
Here is the exact brand and model (mine is the -6 version)
http://westchestersewing.com/highlead/czm200/

I'm pretty sure that this is the previous owner:
http://www.razzlebaby.com/
It looks to be in mint condition.

Blades, sharpening belts, and other parts are interchangeable with Eastman brand cutters. It appears to be an Eastman clone.