Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 08:38:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jetski seats

Started by jeepdoc, September 12, 2010, 07:25:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

Ok I went out and did some fliers and cards like you guys said seems to be working out at least Im getting calls now. I have a guy that rents jetskis with a bunch of them needing seat repairs. Ive never done any of these any tips or advise? some need foam repairs any tips there? Foam seems to be rotted and mising in spots
Thanks

MinUph

Jetski seats are fairly easy to do. When you run into a bad piece of foam I just cut a square section out and glue a new piece of foam in shape it with a foam saw or electric knife and cover the whole seat in 1/4 or 1/2 inch foam. The topper is only needed if your not good at patching foam.
  Use stainless staples and take your time making patterns. If you are decent making patterns you should be fine. Some times I ask if I can change the pattern to make it lay better. Heat gun also helps to stretch the vinyl. Don't over do it with the stretching vinyl will not return to shape if you over stretch it. Take your time and work it. Keep the vinyl hot as in the sun and it helps.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

Miniuph has good points. If you can, use allsport vinyl. Not many colours but holy! Does it ever stretch!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

ahkahn

Don't forget about Apollo vinyl.  I know there are a bunch of die-hard Apollo lovers on the board.  It stretches 6-way as well. 

I do have to comment on the stainless steel staples - that should only be for saltwater regions.  In the Midwest it's not as important - in fact, stainless will often rust before a true galvanized will.  The catch is that galvanized will corrode in salty air.

-Andrew

ncydmn

I use a small 3" air grinder to shape the repaired foam area.  A 5" grinder works on larger seats and large repair areas as well.  I use 36 grit but be careful, a new disk will cut very fast.  You may want to start out with 80 or 50 grit until you get the hang of it.  The grinder also works very well to sand out the small 1/4 groves in the foam from cracked vinyl.

jeepdoc

Thanks for the tips guys Ill see how it goes i havent heard back on the est Ive given we'll see

Andrew i was going to call Matt on monday  to see if i can get A  sample card of that vinyl I have all your others except apollo. Its cheaper than all sport  and I normally buy from you guys anyways.(love your customer service ) ;D  Nowdays people want this stuff done for nothing any savings that can be passed on to get the job is always good

ahkahn

We'll get a swatch set out to you right away.  Thanks for the heads-up on the customer service, we appreciate all feedback (and really like it when it's good!) :)

PM (or email) me your address and I can take care of it for you.  You know, speaking of lower-cost options, we have a new vinyl line called X-Treme.  It's $13.98 RETAIL and is a NICE vinyl.  Not marine grade, but good for anything else.  Excellent hand.  Been a great seller so far.  Most suppliers across the country have brought it in.  Let Matt or myself know about it and we'll throw some samples in for you on that too.

-Andrew

nyuphol

WHATS THE TRADE IN PRICE ON THE EXTREME?

nyuphol

does any one know what the plastic straping they use on Jet skis is called?

its 1 inch wide

Miami Mike

NY>

In our NY location we have a 1" plastic tacking strip. Great for any seats. Not sure if this is what your looking for.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

ahkahn

The only 1" straps I've ever seen on Jetski's is the the vinyl folded and sewn.  You're not referring to Poly webbing are you?

As for the "in trade" or "wholesale" price, I'll PM you with it.  There is an industry-standard formula for retail to wholesale.

-Andrew

nyuphol

Miami Mike

NY where is the piece used  ?? under the seat where the fabric is stapled  ??
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

MinUph

For the strap I have used poly webbing inside of the vinyl folded and sewn. Very strong and matches the seat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

nyuphol

Quote from: MinUph on September 13, 2010, 06:00:01 pm
For the strap I have used poly webbing inside of the vinyl folded and sewn. Very strong and matches the seat.

GOOD IDEA I THINK I WILL DO THAT IT WILL WORK PERFECT AND COLOR WILL MATCH

THANKS