Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:13:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Summer slowwwwww

Started by Mike, July 14, 2014, 10:44:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

July 14, 2014, 10:44:40 am Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:12:34 pm by Mike
After installing a bimini this morniing im done for the day maybe a estimate later.
Had lunch came home let mydfogs out to play in the grass.

Now the summer afternoon  louds are comming.  

In the winter fast pace got to have it. then  i loong for summer
In florida   Up north i was in the thick of the rush now after the 4th.
It will br crazy soon enough.

edited ohttps://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10462694_10202392471628486_2129579799852169889_n.jpghono typos

bobbin

Marine has slowed down for me, too, Mike.  Most of my customers are out on the briney enjoying my interior work.  Slipcovers are holding steady and I have some drapery work, too.  To add interest, I have a bagful of alterations/mending, and (get this you guys!) a sewing lesson on Wednesday afternoon. 

(working on a very basic "lesson plan" right now)

Mike

hey whatever gets you by. kinda like these marine training  classes

bobbin

I'm actually looking forward to the lesson, Mike.  I find it interesting that since the days when "Home Ec." fell out of favor (like learning to write cursive) more people are beginning to look at the skill with more respect.  And there are fewer and fewer people out there who're capable of introducing the skill and adding techniques in a logical sequence. 

My student is a woman (prolly younger than I) who's just purchased a new machine from my Ace Mechanic.  She asked about lessons and he called me to see if I'd be interested.  He knew I was experienced in clothing, drapery, slipcovers, awnings, and marine.  My workload is under control and I thought this might be a fun thing to try.  I was pretty good at working with shop newbies and I really like to sew.  I'll keep you  guys posted. 

Darren Henry

[quote(working on a very basic "lesson plan" right now)][/quote]

I did alot of that while I was in the army. Even if the course training plan came with lesson plans for the individual training sessions we were "Strongly advised" to write our own and make crib notes. I used to cut up my cigarette packs for those 'cause a recipe card is too long and sticks out of the pocket of the uniform shirt of the day. I still have teeth marks on my backside from discovering that little faux pas. LOL.

If you want, I'll share some tips etc... from when I was instructing. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

It is dead here too Mike. I just shipped out my last two orders today, one to MN and the other to Indio, CA. This is the first time I have cleared my order board in a very long time.

I am in the process of unloading the bus and re-loading it for our trip. I am trying to get out of here tomorrow. So much to do when it comes to prepping these coaches for a long trip.

If any orders come in while we are on the road I will book them for the first of August. Till then it will be nice to be on the road with the wife unit. I seem to travel alot by myself attending rallies and I love it when her and I can make a trip together. This will also be our first trip with Miyah. She has never been in the coach. King is a traveling dog. He loves the bus and traveling with us.

Bobbin, I sit and watch my wife make out her lesson plans for algebra, algebra two, algebra honors and calculus and calculus AP every night. I really do not know how she does it sometimes. So many students to keep track of, parent calls in the evening, lesson plans, grading tests and then entering them. I call myself a teachers widow. :) But she loves it and is a born teacher. She loves teaching people. I am going to bet your going to be an awesome teacher as well since you have such a passion. Your student is lucky to have you.

Mike, enjoy the slow time. It wont be long before us Floridian stitchers get hammered by the grey haired mob this fall. :) Grab John and get out there and do some fishing. Just do not let me know about it so as to avoid my jealous streak. One of these days I am going to get down there and throw some lines with you guys......:)

Chris

Mike

yes chris last September was the first time in 20 years I had nothing schedualed for about half a week I was all done. except for up north in winter.   but this summer is slower then normal ususaly im this slow in sept pluhing along.  I had a few quotes out there that I called back today offering a discount and they bolth bit. I had it marked at winter rates so I still have meat on the bone.

bobbin

It was fun! she was stuck in traffic and late, but we set her machine up and then we tediously used the manual to set everything up.  It's totally "computerized" and I had to laugh because I could barely recognize a "sewing machine" when it came to threading it.  We had a good laugh about that, and our first real lesson was about tension adjustment!

We threaded up with 2 different colors and then we ran a stitch sample.  All messed up, lol.  Which was great because she was clearly able to see what was what and then we used the manual to set the adjustments.  Then we played with stitch length. She's never sewn before, is very excited, and she's coming tomorrow for a couple of hours.  We've agreed that I may plug away on my work and she will play with basic seaming, pressing, clipping/notching, and other basic techniques.  That will also require her to wind more bobbins and just generally get acquainted with her new machine.  It's an amazing machine! I am blown away by how much "technology" has moved into basic home sewing machines. 

Darren Henry

QuoteShe's never sewn before, is very excited, and she's coming tomorrow for a couple of hours

Make sure she is seated correctly and that  the machine is adjusted to her. I only mention that because it's so automatic to us that it's easy to take for granted and overlook.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

fragged8

July 16, 2014, 04:47:47 pm #9 Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:48:57 pm by fragged8
slow ,, I wish .

pretty busy over here in the UK, i have auto work coming in as well as the boat covers :-) i had some Lotus seats dropped off today
to recover in leather,

If you have time on your hands Mike get your butt over here I can use the help ;-)

as for lessons, people new to sewing can be so keen they blast through the work you give them so having an extra job on hand
is never a bad idea.

Rich

Mike

is that sewer still around part tim rich?

bobbin

We got her set up yesterday, Darren.  And getting things set to proper height is easy in my shop as all the tables are the same height and all my chairs are adjusted in accordance with them.  But you raise a great point because too many people never make the time to set things properly and unnecessary fatigue is the result.  She doesn't really have a place at her home and since she doesn't have any of the "basics" mastered yet hauling her machine back and forthe doesn't make much sense.  So, she had the end of one of my benches as a "dedicated work space".  :)

Darren Henry

It's not just the fatigue, proper positioning also makes a huge difference in control of both the machine and the project.

mike802

Glad to hear I am not the only one who is slow this summer.  I haven't been this slow since 1987. I am enjoying it though, my garden is the best it's been in years, weed free finally! The money I am loosing will be made up in produce. LOL  I also did some teaching in the past. Worked for the adult learning center teaching upholstery and also did a few of my own classes, usually had six students at a time. I ran classes one night a week for three hours for six weeks.  Most students who worked at home during the week could finish a club or wing chair.  It was fun and nice to make money while someone else did the work!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike

Maybe bo. In would like to. Hat with you as she has taken on a seeing student a d could learn somthing.