Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 11:04:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

im fed up wit this season

Started by Mike, February 24, 2014, 05:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

February 24, 2014, 05:26:24 pm Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:28:13 pm by Mike
first this September normally the slowest time I actually ran out of work for a week then it started more workload and it grew, 13 jobs out what 3 months. Then cols windy weather and rein for a couple weeks  made it harder, my dog got ill very fast and I lost a week with vet visits and just plain depressed. up to 16 jobs and a dealer I work with keeps calling adding work a asap deal.  this week I have to finnish dome pontoon seats pattern a mooring cover on a new boat arriving wensday a bow cover on another at the same time and try o continue with a sailboat maje a front toon bimini and ect ect. plus repairs that wind up at my door, my stress level is unreal.

I CANT WAIT TILL SUMMER,

SteveA

Mike
You've put in enough time to do what you want to do at the speed you want to do it at.  Don't stress - just enjoy the good fortune and business you've created - heck with those who think you jump through hoops for a buck -
SA

Mike

Unless it my dealer im no going to schedule anything untill april now.

gene

I've gotten old enough that I no longer enjoy working hard and fast to make deadlines. I enjoy going in and working long and hard smart, but not with the added pressure of having to get something done by a specific date.

I'm not complaining. I appreciate having work. I'm just sharing. LOL

It was 65 degrees a few days ago and today we got snow. A high of 20 degrees today. This weather is another thing I have gotten old enough that I no longer enjoy it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

timtheboatguy

Sounds like it may be time to raise prices.

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

byhammerandhand

February 25, 2014, 01:26:50 pm #5 Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:57:11 pm by byhammerandhand
In true Cincinnati fashion, drivers have forgotten how to drive in snow (in the last 12 days).   We had less than  1/2" of snow this morning.   Accidents all over the place.   All major highways had backups for miles.   My wife grunted after the clock radio came on -- "I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to drive downtown this morning."

My son-in-law's high school buddy is a local morning traffic guy:   He gets a little wild on Fridays.   This one made national news:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWw0WEtZJRQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL5PS0709a6Jlzqu5i5QoY8J0XTr-hCW4R

Quote from: gene on February 25, 2014, 05:52:05 am

It was 65 degrees a few days ago and today we got snow. A high of 20 degrees today. This weather is another thing I have gotten old enough that I no longer enjoy it.

gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

aside from a dealer I work with ive only got 2 jobs with a deadline I said I could do that the customers are leaving after a week here but the rest even if I said 8  weeks they get antsy and start calling after 6 .
I had one guy wanting a front bimini on a pontoon who said he would be gone and have his brother pay me when im done. well yesterday he came in the shop and was surprired that I don't remember every face when they come in the door,. I knew I talked before but I cant remember names so I had to ask his mane and what it is im doing for him. ant today the dealer calls to see if I have stuff ready so it seems ill have to delever thye product to the owner house . . I try to keep my prices inline for my customers but this year has just been busy as hell for everybody I hear not just me.

Mojo

I am moving VERY slowly. I got hit bad a month ago and had some very tight deadlines. I was sewing 7 days a week till noon. Take an afternoon snooze and then sewing till 10 and 11 pm. I got through all the orders and now they are slowly coming in.

I burnt through the backlog, got caught up and am enjoying this slow time. This is when I get stressed when the work is coming in slowly.

I have one more week and then will be in Georgia for a week doing seminars, inspections, vendor booth and the rally itself. At the end of April I start another trip, this will be two weeks to Indy again.

I could get used to this slow business cycle. :) Good luck Mike. Take your time and you will get through it. In a couple months you will be back to worrying about orders. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

Quotetoday we got snow. A high of 20 degrees today. This weather is another thing

Minus 23 ºC or 8 below at sunset tonight. Wind chills  will be -40/40 below over night AGAIN. Snow up the ying-yang. WHAH  :'(

Psst,Mike---You Floridians figured out how to smuggle illegals in from this side, yet? A working vacation down there sounds pretty good LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 25, 2014, 04:36:23 pm
Quotetoday we got snow. A high of 20 degrees today. This weather is another thing

Psst,Mike---You Floridians figured out how to smuggle illegals in from this side, yet? A working vacation down there sounds pretty good LOL
you would be called a whiteback then Darren lol

chris I stoped worring about the phone to ring in the dead time. September is always the slowest time of the year here I I always would start getting nervous when I was down to 3 jobs left then 2 and the phone would ring and presto 6 job a week later., this past sept I finnaly ran out john asked me so what do we have to do next week..?......  I said go fishing  wasn't 5 day into it and the phone started again, and booked me up   but calls have slowed to 2 jobs last week I just cant turn jobs away only postpone them as long as I can 

Mojo

Well that slow time was fun while it lasted. Bang...................more orders coming in with impossible deadlines.

You jinxed me Mike with your post. :)

Make matters worse I am real low on fabric. Called Mikey and ordered 3 full rolls of acrylic. I am going to cry when I get that bill.

Chris

Mike

if I was rich like you Chris  :) id order a full roll of black then captains navy blacks number 1 navy 2 and it anyone geese what's next

oh and  ill accept a commission :)

Peppy

That's the kind of winter I've been having too mike. 5 interiors, a 38' headliner, and something like 12 convertible tops 4 on 40' searays. All due may 24th. Good thing the Great Lakes are rock solid I might have extra time to finish it all.

I love having work but winters supposed to be the slow season. I don't want to be burnt out by June.

Quote from: timtheboatguy on February 25, 2014, 07:33:08 am
Sounds like it may be time to raise prices.

*high five*
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike

you know devin when I was in cow Hampshire  I sat around al winter watching tv and selling a little bait it was a nice break each year as long as I made enough money all summer. here the break is in the summer to slow down, im eating away at the backlog but not fast enough.

Peppy

Winter used to be like that for me too. We had work but also had time to fix up the shop a bit and not be so frantic. I miss that. I guess it's since the boss got into winter storage that brough us more winter work.

I started making patterns today, finish up the last interior tomorrow. 8 weeks left of the spring rush then the summer rush'll start.

Darren's got the right idea. Maybe he can come pick me up and we can join your sweatshop?
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering