Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 02:08:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

SCORE!

Started by byhammerandhand, December 03, 2016, 07:44:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Found a Consew CN-3115-R  machine free from someone who needed the room for a junker car(!).   Anyone have any experience with this model?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Ebay has one - looks like an old work horse.  I think no walking foot - did it come with the table, motor, ready to go ?
The free part is over - next comes the purchase of all the parts, repairs, and upgrades I know you'll do.
Best of luck with the new addition - write again when you have it running
SA

byhammerandhand

yes, machine head, nice motor, table.   Looks like it was in a production shop at some point in time, most of the parts are labelled "4"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Assuming the Consew CN 3115 is a clone of the original Singer 3115, I've known a few older upholsterers back in the day that preferred doing upholstery sewing on one over a walking foot.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

I have the Consew 30 which is a clone of Singer 31-15.  I bought it new because the walking foot machines was often too big for the furniture work I do.  It is a great machine, never had a problem with it.  Came with everything, table/light/etc.  Several welt feet, zipper feet, etc.

Light weight fabrics it is almost a necessity but with the right feet it can be used on heavy cloth (uph).  Not my pick for vinyls, however I suspect it would do fine on thin vinyls like used in auto headliners. 

Oh, it has been used on slip covers and is a pretty good work horse.

Worth keeping Keith.

Enjoy,

Doyle

gene

QuoteI've known a few older upholsterers back in the day that preferred doing upholstery sewing on one over a walking foot.

If you are sewing only heavy fabrics, vinyls, and leathers, or anything that does not have a lot of stretch, would a walking foot really make a difference?

A walking foot could help getting a lot of bulk through the sewing machine.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 04, 2016, 08:20:37 am
QuoteI've known a few older upholsterers back in the day that preferred doing upholstery sewing on one over a walking foot.

If you are sewing only heavy fabrics, vinyls, and leathers, or anything that does not have a lot of stretch, would a walking foot really make a difference?

A walking foot could help getting a lot of bulk through the sewing machine.

I have a Juki DDL-555 straight stitch machine that is great for thin stuff, but really struggles with cording or heavier weight fabrics. I think the older models like the 3115 were way more versatile.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Trying to find an owner's manual for this one.   Anyone have one or direct me to online PDF?
Keith

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Thanks!   Google failed me.
Keith

gene

FYI:

I read that in the movies if a character says they used a search engine other than google, that indicates that that search engine paid to have them say that.

It's late. I'm tired. This is about as far off topic as I'm able to go at this time.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Got it back from the repair shop last week but we've been too busy with other stuff to do anything with it.

The repair guy (Dave at Industrial Sew-Tech in Cincinnati) really knows his stuff.   He spent half an hour with us telling us how it all worked, features,  and yes, it is a clone of the Singer 31-15, but he likes this one better.    General tune up, lube, a couple of replacement parts.   He said it works great on both heavy-  and light-weight fabrics.
Keith

SteveA

Keith - what did he say he liked better about your machine over the 31-15 ?

SA

byhammerandhand

He just said it had some improvements.   It also has a reversing mode, not sure if the Singer has that or not.   He did say the bobbin ran on a different system than most machines in that it went back and forth and not round and round, so you'd hear some click-click as it sewed.
Keith

SteveA

Mine doesn't have reverse something I wish I had - the shuttle I can't compare - the only other machine I've used was the 206 with a walking foot and only have a few hours using it to date.  The bobbin is a lot bigger which is nice - don't get lacquer over spray and sanding dust on that new girl
SA