Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 07:40:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pipe clamp type Wood Clamp with extra long jaws?

Started by baileyuph, December 27, 2012, 06:20:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Anyone got one with jaws long enough to slip into the seat frame of a recliner, from the front?

I have a number of pipe clamps on a long pipe, but none with thin jaws long enough to reach into each side of the seat frame on a stand alone recliner.  The pipe clamps are too thick to get in and their jaws are too short even if the jaws were paper thin.

Got the idea, anyone who has repaired a recliner seat frame can relate to this.

Hammer and other furniture guys, surely can relate.  Let me know if you use such and how you work around.

I work around but it takes times and lowers effectivity. 

Doyle

byhammerandhand

I don't have a clear idea of what you are needing do to.  Photo, maybe?  Are you trying to go front-to-back or side-to-side?  Work around the mech?   Top or bottom?

I was working in the shop last week just wondering how many clamps I have.  Several hundred I would guess, ranging from 99 cent 2" c-clamps to $50 48" jorgies.   

I went to the estate sale of one of the founding members of the local woodworking club a number of years ago.   They auctioned off clamps for over an hour.   I counted 104 lots of 4 each 3" and 4" C-clamps.   Then on to the more expensive clamps.   I kept wondering,  "Ben, what were you thinking when you bought your 103rd set of C-clamps, you might need more than 400 C clamps some day?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

OK, maybe this will be clear:

Imagine you are facing a recliner that has been striped.  You are facing the recliner
on your knees.  You want a clamp that will slip between each side of the bottom and pull the two sides together.

The clamp jaws must be thin and long.  I want to pull the two sides toward each other.  It will take an unusual clamp because the jaws must offset the clamp frame, toward the front of the arms.  Imagine the problem of trying to do this with a pipe clamp.  You can't gain access to perform the clamping action.

Have you ever had a recliner bottom frame break at one or both of the front corners?

Hope this helps,
Doyle

byhammerandhand

December 28, 2012, 06:27:16 am #3 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:10:42 am by byhammerandhand
Still not quite understanding as I see different configurations of recliner frames.    Amazon has 400+ pages of "clamps"

Would something like a "parallel" clamp work?   Bessey, Jorgenson, Irwin and Jet all make good parallel jaw clamps

You can remove the mech from the seat frame with 4-6 bolts/screws if that helps get things out of the way.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

If what you're trying to do is pull the sides of the recliner frame towards each other, wouldn't a ratcheting strap clamp do it?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

By golly, Rich I believe it would.  I can't say that I ever used one, maybe a google will help.  It should yield fairly good torque, if so that is the ticket.

Do you have one Rich?

Thanks,

Doyle

baileyuph

Strap clamp will enable working in the space between arms.

Now, the search is on for a relative small one with no more than about 8 feet of strap.  A small one, I believe will work.

Thanks Rich,
Doyle

Rich

Doyle,
Yes, I've used them for a number of different purposes and lately I've noticed that everyone seems to be selling them in many different sizes.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

Sounds good Rich, I did google, some are very big with lots of footage, some are less.  If I could find a small one that would work, it probably be my best shot at keeping everything small.

Another point, when I see one, maybe it will provide insight into what can be done, if anything, toward reducing yardage.  You understand I hope, I could cut the belt and resew to reinstall (to ratchet), if so.

I will be searching,

Thanks Rich,

Doyle

byhammerandhand

January 02, 2013, 09:21:33 am #9 Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:25:08 am by byhammerandhand
<finally understanding...>

I saw some Snap-On ratcheting binders this week at Costco -- something like 4 for $20.  They looked much heavier duty than the strap clamps I have (1")  While they have clips on the end, all you have to do is clip them together.

If Costco doesn't work for you, Harbor Freight has a bunch of them, too

Extra long doesn't matter because you can just have the excess hang over the end of the clamp, or for single purpose clamps, trim off the end and flame seal the cut edge.
Keith

Joys Shop

Normally the seat of recliver can be separated from the arms

Is this not the case with the one you have?

baileyuph

January 02, 2013, 05:09:46 pm #11 Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:03:33 am by DB
Joy,
The arms do separate at the front only (by unbolting only that is).  

I repair these frames with minimal tear down and need the clamp to assist in the wood work repair.  The ratchet clamp will be more efficient to repair the wood issue.

Separating the arms, by unbolting at the front, leaves a constraint in pulling the sides toward each other.  The arms are still in the way, they are merely loose at the front - but still connected at the rear, for a conventional pipe/bar clamp. The only way to use the latter clamps is to remove the mechanism which drives the time up, too inefficient.

Rich's idea I believe will work and Hammer's references where they can be obtained (only one is needed) is a good solution.  I do not have a member ship at COSCO, I don't believe Harbor Freight requires a membership and there is one not far, good solution Hammer.

Thanks folks, all have been very enlightening

Doyle

sofadoc

Here's a pic from Ted on the other discussion board that shows how he does it:

He glues a couple of "clamp blocks" to the frame with a piece of paper sack between them (so they'll pry off easily when he's done).  I've been just shooting the clamp blocks on with a brad nailer. This way, you can use regular size clamps for the repair.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban