Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 02:24:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hydraulic fluid for sewing machine oil??

Started by lc, April 12, 2012, 02:21:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

April 17, 2012, 05:25:48 am #15 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:01:13 am by sofadoc
Quote from: Mojo on April 13, 2012, 07:51:40 am
Actually, your the first fabric supplier I have ever heard of that sells welt feet and machine oil.

It was the norm back in the days before Al Gore invented the internet.

In fact, I didn't even know that places like Keystone, or Toledo existed. Most Dallas area fabric and supply houses were full service. They carried all the sewing machine parts, and even had an in-house sewing machine mechanic.

But when the cyber-world came along, stitchers realized that they didn't have to pay $100 or more for a simple set of welt feet. And best that I remember, a gallon of sewing machine oil was about as much then as it is now. And $20-$25 was a lot of money to plunk down back then. That's probably why so many stitchers "made do" with whatever they could find, and skimped on tools and supplies like oil.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Sofadoc's oil can also be put on your salad to help keep the old colon working nicely.

I would think that the primary differences between any oils are the additives that are put in it and the amount of refinery that they do to it.

You want the oil to lubricate under specific conditions of heat and pressure, hence, different oils.

Hydraulic fluid would be different in that it's primary purpose is to maintain it's viscosity integrity under pressure , not lubricate under pressure. So I wonder if additives in this are what cause the 'gumming' up stuff.

If you have major deadlines coming up quickly and you are under a lot of pressure, then I would think hydraulic fluid might work in an emergency situation.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Actually Dennis I just talked with MiamiMike about this and he said they still carry oil but dropped their line of machine parts ( welt feet ). They still carry binders though. Hell, I never knew this.

He said they sell oil to stitchers because they can order it along with their other supplies and not get killed on shipping. It can all get shipped together in one order. Otherwise if they have to order the oil
separately then your paying more in shipping charges. Miami has come up with some clever ways to ship me materials in the past to save me on separate shipping packages. :)

Chris

Jim101

April 17, 2012, 08:45:26 am #18 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:48:48 am by Jim101
Myself?  I wouldn't use hydraulic fluid for lubrication.

Sure, its slippery, and red, and cheap, and.... Anyway.

Hydraulic, or hydrastic fluid, is meant to be used under high pressure.  Think brake fluid for your car, or your airplane, or machinery that require precise control.  I could go on and on...

Use anything but mineral oil.  Or hydraulic.  Why?  Because it has minerals in it, i.e. little stones or minerals that will eventually damage the gears in your sewing machine.  

Hope this helps

Jim

lamx

QuoteUse anything but mineral oil.  Or hydraulic.  Why?  Because it has minerals in it, i.e.

If mineral oil has minerals in it and olive oil has olives in it and vegetable oil has vegetables in it, does that also mean that motor oil has little motors in it?  And what about baby oil????

Ed

lc

hee hee ...good point ! Any good answers on this one guys ?!