Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:34:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Started by RocketmanMH1, January 02, 2012, 08:48:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketmanMH1

I'm sure this may have been discussed at an earlier time but I did a search and couldn't find any info.  When sewing intersecting seams of double thickness I find that my needle bar touches my presser(outside) foot when I'm using a 135 needle.  Would there be any negative effect if I used a 190 size needle like my 545 uses??

By the way.. Happy new year to all the wonderful people of this forum. Thanks for all the info you guys are willing to share.

Special THANKS To GREGG from KEYSTONE!!!!!!!!
The servos are working great and I wish I had done the upgrade years ago!! ;D

Rich

Do you mean that because of the extra thickness, the outside foot is higher and the bottom of the needle bar contacts it? That probably means you've reached the thickness capacity of your machine and a different needle wouldn't change that condition. BTW, what is the total thickness you're encountering since I'm thinking that a Juki 1508 should have a pretty large capacity for thick materials.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

RocketmanMH1

Rich, I have installed the cover so I can't measure the thickness of that one but I do have about 12 more to make for that boat so maybe i will run into that again.  The 190 needle is a good 4 mm longer than the 135 so when installing the 190 you need to set the needle bar higher up, this would create the extra clearance needed, so I don't see how it wouldn't help the situation.

sofadoc

Quote from: RocketmanMH1 on January 02, 2012, 09:46:25 am
Rich, I have installed the cover so I can't measure the thickness of that one but I do have about 12 more to make for that boat so maybe i will run into that again.  The 190 needle is a good 4 mm longer than the 135 so when installing the 190 you need to set the needle bar higher up, this would create the extra clearance needed, so I don't see how it wouldn't help the situation.
I wouldn't mess with the needle bar. You could throw the whole timing off. I've had that problem with larger welt feet before. I've found it easier to grind some off the top of the feet. Also, removing the needle bar threadguide on thick jobs will give you a little extra clearance.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

If this is an issue for you, yes, you can, even by spec., by the book, use a 190 system needle in exchange for the 135X17 system.  See here, in the book, they are using it for the LU-1508NH model interchangably, but no reason you can't do the same on the LU-1508N model as well.

See the specs here; http://www.keysew.com/Webpages/Owners&PartsBooks/Brochures/LU-1500NSeries.pdf

RocketmanMH1

Thanks Gregg, I guess I need to print that and keep it handy!!!! :)