Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 09:53:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bobbin case tensioning.

Started by jsquail, May 19, 2011, 11:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Had to loosen my bobbin case tension on my 206rb to use 138 dabond thread. My tensioning screw fell out because of this, so its making me ask the question, how loose is your screw? Bobbin case screw, that is.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

scottymc

Maybe need to clean behind the tension plate, gunk can build up there.

scarab29

Same machine , I have 2 cases. Never had toadjust more than 1/4 turn. There can't be much bite on that screw , always afraid it might come out !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

bobbin

Scarab, that is a brilliant idea!!  I routinely use my walking foot Juki 1541 for all manner of work, from not so heavy cushion work to heavy awning and canopy work and yet it never occurred  to me to buy another bobbin case.  Like, ummm... duh!  I think I'll be all over that idea "like a bad suit".    :-*

It makes a lot of sense; it's easy to adjust the thread tension but bobbin tension is always "fiddly" and having a bobbin case all ready for #138 thread will make things faster and easier when I need to switch gears quickly. 

Agree about cleaning under the bobbin case tongue... gunk does accumulate there!

Mojo

I blow my bobbin case out with compressed air routinely. It can get specks of gunk under the spring plate
and effect the tension.

Bobbin. E-Bay is filled with bobbin cases for most machines. I just ran across some this morning and they
were anywhere from 6 bucks on up and many with free shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bobbin+case&_sacat=0&_odkw=engel+hot+knife&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Chris

jsquail

yep already ordered a second and third bobbin case. figured its best to just have one for the 138.

The other thing i did after i went and got another screw today was adjust the spring under the screw. I used the a small flat head and bent it out ever so slightly. Looks like that may work to keep more bite on the screw and save the tension for the 138.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

sofadoc

Scarab's idea is a good one. But my machine is top load, so I would have to remove the little retaining screws every time.
I bought 100 metal bobbins off e-bay, so I have a lot of BW parties.
But I'm still trying to use up some boxes of pre-wounds. I have to adjust the bobbin tension quite a bit when I go from pre-wound to metal self-wound.
Once I use up the pre-wounds, I shan't be buying any more. They're just too inconsistant.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Forgot to mention this but meant to!  Whenever I have to work on the bobbin case tension I always do it over a paper towel.  The tension screws are really tiny and they bounce a long way (ask me how I learned this).  They don't bounce very far and are easy to find on a paper towel.  If it sounds too "time consuming" try crawling around on the floor or in the oil drip pan looking for that tiny screw.  Trust me on this.   ::)  It really helps if you have a lamp on your machine and I need to add a magnifier for my 50-ish eyes. 

Sofa., I hadn't really thought about the "top load" dilemma, but you're right.  I will add another case/two after reading this.  And I have to order more bobbins, too.  (Prolly ought to add a spare tension screw, too, huh?).

Mike8560

Been there crawled  on the floor too bobbin

jsquail

Quote from: Mike8560 on May 20, 2011, 10:39:27 am
Been there crawled  on the floor too bobbin

Yep. i was there recently..........and never found it.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com