Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 06:47:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1941 Cadillac seat help needed

Started by Droflex, May 09, 2011, 09:50:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Droflex

May 09, 2011, 09:50:01 pm Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:01:01 pm by Droflex
Hey everyone!

We are trying to figure out this seat frame before we put the cover back on.

Every spring needs to be individually covered in burlap.

What we are trying to figure out is what is up with the spring tension and how to get it flat.

I took a couple pic's to show how it looks now which doesnt look right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/droflex/DSC_3350.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/droflex/DSC_3349.jpg

baileyuph

Wow!  What a time consuming project!

Yes, the seat springs, as is, are distorted very much.  Those stabilizer rods, running at angles within the spring network play a big role in supporting the general shape of the spring asembly.  Since your perimeter frame, upper and lower are distorted, as the pictures revealed, the angled rods need a thorough checking and correcting.

Then of course the coil springs where they are attached at lower and top need to be detailed to insure springs are secured at top and bottom.

As far as enclosing each spring in burlap sacks, that is definitely going to be some work as everything securing coils and stabilizer rods will have to be disassembled to install the sacks and correct for spring/rod distortions and to insure correct positions of all this paraphernalia.

Regarding burlap encasement of coils, I don't know if that was an original feature.  The only way I would know of verifying this is look at all the seat springs in the car.  If the other spring assemblies display burlap then that is probably the right answer, particularly if the rest of the springs are original. 

I am imagining disassembling everything on the spring base, tracking where everything goes to accomplish installing the burlap sacks and it kinda makes my head hurt.  Take pictures to verify where everything goes and to make it interesting also get pictures of the reassembly process.

It doesn't come close to saying it all, but I will say anyway:  "you have your work cut out for you".

Show us pictures of all project steps.

I rebuilt some model A springs a while back and I don't recall it having the sacks, but it did have the stay rods (those running at angles) and they were out of position, bent, and anything else that wasn't correct, just like yours.  It took time to straighten rods, properly position coils, and clip them in position to form the spring seat assembly.  Luckily, this car was a roadster instead of a 4 door, fewer seats.

Doyle

phoenix

Just finished one of these roadsters last month...yes all the springs were covered.have fun...pack a lunch,it's gonna be awhile!