Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 09:01:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Defective thread?

Started by sofadoc, August 07, 2012, 09:06:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

My supplier insists that he's had no complaints about this thread (Sunguard #138 polyester).
He said that I'm probably using the incorrect size needle. As you can see, the red powder is coming off long before it reaches the needle.
Will this thread fail prematurely?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

That's identical to some I got last month. It looks to be even the same color. I've sewed recently with teals, tans, white, and black and the red is the only one that has looked that way on the machine. Sungard 138
Kyle

scarab29

I think id have to ask urgingly for him to take it back. I'd like the mfgr to explain this . Pretty weird.  :o
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

sofadoc

Quote from: scarab29 on August 07, 2012, 09:55:22 am
I think id have to ask urgingly for him to take it back. I'd like the mfgr to explain this . Pretty weird.
He has already given me credit for it (reluctantly). I'm just wondering if it's OK to use it up.
Just like Kyle, I bought several colors. Red is the only one doing this. I'm thinking about using in place of #69 nylon on indoor furniture.

Cheryl

August 07, 2012, 11:02:42 am #4 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:07:02 am by Cheryl
Sunguard  does that.  *shrug*   I have a spool of orange (to match that Chevy  many moons ago) and it has always shed.   Messy stuff but when you need a matching poly and its there.. you use it.  ;D    Never had a problem with performance.

Edited to add:   Mine is 92.  I can see 138 is shedding even more through the tension discs, vs a 92,  that is a large thread..  perhaps  adding an oiling  blob of cotton  at the top of the  spool holder and a slightly looser tension might lesson the effect of the shedding.

But I still doubt it will affect the performance.   
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mike

I ised to use colors. It for hers I've only used black or white. The colored theed faded.  I used to see the dust build up but I ot for a while leaps it was just the. Colored  thread.
Before I started sewing I was a delevery driver and one day just after starting I had this guy come in my shop.i ised to delever to him and he made automatic roll up tarp systems for dump trucks. He saw the dust on my machine and complained of the health problem he was told it gave him from breathing it    Ring young I passed it off. But havnt seen it much at all with the white or black.

Mojo

I have never had that problem and I use Sunguard exclusively when using Poly. But I have never used any Sunguard colors other then black or white.

I myself wouldn't use it if it shed that bad. Sunguard is made with UV inhibitors and after seeing that mess I wonder how much of it is left in the thread.

Good gawd what a mess.

Chris

regalman190

I've used Sunguard colors. The reds and greens are the worst for dust. I've been switching to black and white only.
Regal Canvas

JuneC

IMHO, a bad needle size wouldn't be throwing thread dust up there around the tensions discs.  Personally, I'd be afraid to use it.  That's a LOT of shedding. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Interesting answers, and slightly varying opinions. Some of you say that you've seen this before with colors other than black or white. My supplier says "never" (naturally).
Some think it's OK to use, some don't.
While I don't trust it for outdoor applications, I'll probably use it up on indoor furniture in place of #69 nylon.
I'm not going to run bobbins with it, though. I don't mind cleaning the upper tension discs, but I don't want any buildup under the bobbin tension leaf.

gene

Mike's health comments: If this where red lung disease comes from?

sofa d: Is it color pigmentation coming off or is it thread fibers? If it's only color pigmentation, then does this help with UV protection and durability of the thread?

sofa d: What did you supplier say is going on with the thread that an incorrect needle size would be causing?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

I should have asked the guy more of what his problem were but I was young in my 30s and indestructible and did t care.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on August 08, 2012, 04:16:46 am
sofa d: Is it color pigmentation coming off or is it thread fibers? If it's only color pigmentation, then does this help with UV protection and durability of the thread?

sofa d: What did you supplier say is going on with the thread that an incorrect needle size would be causing?

I truly believe that it's just the color pigmentation that is shedding. If the UV protection is also shedding, then it will still be fine for sofas. Like some others here, in the past I've only stocked black or white 138 thread.

My supplier assumed that the thread was chaffing as it passed through the eye of the needle.
But as you can see from the pic, all of the shedding has already occured before it reaches the needle. I can pull the thread between my index finger and thumb, and red powder comes off in my hand.

Mojo

It was my understanding that the pigmentation was solution dyed similar to the acrylics.

Now I am going to have to PM MiamiMike and get his input on how the color is added to thread. I would be curious to see what he has to say about all this as he sells a ton of Sunguard every month.

He is typically my go to expert on fabrics and thread.

Chris

RocketmanMH1

Almost every spool of sungard I use does this, the bright colors are worse than the black and white , if there were a better alternate I would never buy the stuff again.     By the time you sew a topstitch on a panel, half the color is gone off the thread and after its cleaned,(boat cushion) it looks pale in relation to the color of the vinyl.  For what it is it's expensive, although nothing like solarfix, it's still  high.   It just burns my rear when I tear into an interior of a fiftys model car and find the thread almost impossible to break.  I don't know what they made it out of back then but it was tough stuff.   Almost every material I use now leaves a lot to be desired.