Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:02:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

People

Started by Mike8560, August 17, 2011, 03:36:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

So a friend  of mine had his boss call about new canvas on his t top.
Ok so imwent over and looked at  it  didn't see the guybjust talked on thebphone as he was at work all the time till late.  agrees  to  price. It was navy sunbrella and had the typical homeoner  white  clothline rope.  Spiraled around the pipeTying it on.  So I wanted to do a nice job for. My friends boss and used black 1/8" line as I would on a darker canvas to look nice   
Blacknthat dosent stand out and last longer also   So I called hm told him it was onhe said he'd stop over and pay   He did but said his wife gave him crap that I did t use white  I said ok I'll go over and I stall white
so I ge there today and he has this white closeligne for me to use he said his wife said dos t pay him yet 

kodydog

What??? Grrr... I can feel my blood pressure going up and it's not even my problem.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

lruthb

I am still learning........(some) friends and family favors don't work out in your favor. When we owned a bar I enjoyed a sign given to me " Hey bartender how come you never buy me a drink?" Bartender replies " How come you never pay double?" I need to figure out a quick responce to customers whom think your price can be haggled.

Cheryl

Thats when I would take the canvas off and back to the shop.   They then could retrieve it and pay for it, and install it themselves.

Did that once to a guy who had all the seats and a bimini  done  on his pontoon,  and  then didn't want to pay.   He coughed the $$ up real fast.

I was NOT concerned about his feelings or  word of mouth.  Still ain't.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mike8560

T wasn't the price or gettting paid that was the problem.  It was that they though it was better to have white rope sealed in a spiral on the frame rather then black line to match the right size laced the proper way. Not like some shmuck that bought the first thing they found at the hRdware store and had no clue how it should be laced 

DBR1957

Even though we know black line looks better with darker colors I always ask
the customer which they prefer first. Helps to prevent headaches like this.

It's funny how we are the experts but everyone else knows how to do our job
better than us.

Mike8560

YA my friend just handed the phone to him I didn't meet vim just ya do it navy blue again jive got some old rope I tied it on with.  He was a cast talking busy car salemans
I didn't mind giving him the white. But this was the first person that wanted rope !  To llace it on   
Rope 

Jim101

I've always wanted to tell a customer, but never have:

"If you want my skill, you'll pay my bill."

One of these days...  ;D

Jim

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 19, 2011, 08:20:02 am #8 Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:23:10 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: DBR1957 on August 18, 2011, 01:02:27 pm
Even though we know black line looks better with darker colors I always ask
the customer which they prefer first. Helps to prevent headaches like this.

It's funny how we are the experts but everyone else knows how to do our job
better than us.

Customer is always right.  I've always felt it's my job as a professional to know what questions to ask the customer up front.  NOW, this does not always go according to plan, no matter how much planning and thought I put into somthing.  With some customers everything is a one way street, and things like this, no matter how hard we try, are going to come up.  All we can do is our best, sharpen our sword for next time, and know next time to ask before doing the job;" Black or white rope with that, Mrs. Lady Mam'?"

Mike8560

Yaw.

I mean it looked like crap but what doi know