Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:18:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Dreaded Tapeworm Bolster

Started by jojo, April 17, 2011, 02:05:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Ok, I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to construct this bolster cover in sections (you can see the impression of the old cover in the dacron). It had a light fabric cover on it previously that looked really puffy.
I'm doing the new cover in vinyl. This is soooo tedious! Is there some kind of formula for cutting the pieces other then draping the fabric over and drawing the curve onto each section of the fabric? This is gonna take forever, as there are 4 pieces just like this; about 3 to 4 feet each piece.

MinUph

I doubt there is a formula but once you have a set of patters you can reuse them for the other three.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I'd be really tempted to "reinvent the wheel" on that one.  Try maybe starting at one end, fold and pleat the fabric as I staple to accommodate the curve.  Or pleat and put a vertical trim (maybe vinyl strap) over the pleat to pull it in, or something easier than patterning and sewing each individual piece.  Compound curves like your half-moon combined with the "J" shape make getting it right not easy at all.  After you're done with this project, everything else you tackle will seem like a cake-walk. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

One thing to make sure of, when you pattern, that curved piece must have the same bend as if it was in place or over-bent a little. If it's under-bent while you pattern and staple the cover it will pucker when you put it back in place.

Go ahead and pattern it. Won't take as long as you think. It's one of those jobs you dread but once you start you'll find out it's not as bad as you think.

jojo

You're right, June. This was a challenge. Why is it that everything always looks easier than it actually is?
I've finished 2 sections and ran out of fabric; seriously misjudged the amount of fabric it would take to wrap around. It looks smaller than it is, and once you factor in the curve, you suck up a lot of fabric.
It does look really good; I joined the sections and topstitched on each side of the seam. I'll post a pic when I'm done.
Thanks everyone for the advice/encouragement.