Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:40:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

More experience with newer made furniture - wood this time

Started by baileyuph, April 20, 2018, 06:13:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

May as well change the name of my business to something like "new" furniture wood repairs. 

In the process of doing upholstery repairs like we have mentioned on the newer furniture, wood repair
requirements would crop up and taking those on has fueled this kind of work.

Been getting lot of work, even these expensive bed frames (they must be damaged or set up out of calibration (slats/legs, rails, and ledgers) or with damages from whatever. 

I saw that these jobs could be fixed - so did that - and it is adding to the work load.

It too helps pay the bills. 

A comment though - this newer size bedding furnishings - can be very heavy.

In perspective, will antique furniture go away -- I comment because the way it is made - doesn't
convince me things are going to last.  Maybe the very very expensive stuff will though - but some
consumers either can't or will not pay for that level of quality!

This has been some of my recent experiences.

Same for any of you or all of you?

Doyle

SteveA

When anyone mentions antique furniture - I'm listening.  Folks today don't appreciate the hand work of vintage pieces.  This goods were made better than furniture will ever be made again. Antique furniture is not going away but (the category)  brown furniture or antique furniture is out of style and Antiques are dirt cheap now.  It's time to buy because prices will go back up.  Every year older pieces are lost, damaged, burned, cannibalized, re purposed and less and less pieces will mean higher prices.  These new furniture on line places like Ashley, Mayfair, Ikea, Ramoure + Flanagan, furniture direct, etc are producing sub par quality goods but catering to a market that can't get enough.
Every piece that gets repaired will preserve that item for another generation and I would like to believe folks will once again appreciate our colonial beginnings, collect + preserve these treasurers with the respect they deserve 
SA   

kodydog

We do repair work for several furniture stores. Mostly upholstery repair but sometimes frame work. I've notice if I can keep the price under $150 they will do it. Over that and I never hear from them again. It makes me wonder, did they find another shop cheaper? Or did they replace the whole thing. Is the wholesale price so low and the furniture built so cheap that they will not consider any repairs over $150?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

You are hitting on the right answer Kody.  Yes, the off shore stuff is actually that cheap!

I was reading in a business report and learned an upholsterer in China makes less than
$3 a day.

Yes, new replacements are understandable.

China is not dumb, smart people - just a different economy than is understood elsewhere.

Doyle

baileyuph

Steve, what you say is true and it is possible consumers will finally see the old crafted stuff benefits.

I picked up a solid walnut night stand a home owner had put out for hauling off.  Wood turnings, high
quality drawer, joints were tight as a jug.  Anyway, I restored the finish and even I was awed by
the beautiful results.  I offered it to my son who showed little interest -- but after his experience
with the new made stuff (Ikea), he sees the light and now wants the piece.

This table is of expensive dining room furniture, it would cost around $1000 to duplicate it, if that is
possible today.

So, as these kind of pieces become fewer, and fewer more consumers see the value in the older, they
won't be as easy to find and prices will definitely go up!

Doyle

SteveA

Doyle we hope our younger guys will take our advice - over the years I collected nice pieces that I was saving for the kids.  10-12 pieces up in the attic that were causing cracks in the sheet rock below.  Now tht my guys have all moved away - no one wanted pieces made from solid wood.  I gave the pieces  away to friends just to get them out of the attic.  Made room for the rolls of dacron and foam - burlap etc.  They buy the stuff that you see at the curbs after a few years -

Service work is a nice fill in for me.  And it's true these companies look to get away under $ 150.00 sometimes - When the amount allowed is too little I ask them is it cheaper to replace the piece - trucking both ways - and there is always the possibility the new piece is worse - folks at this point are tired of waiting.   95 % of the time they increase the amount allowed.  When they don't I will hold the call until I have something in the area this way I go along with the account to get it done under budget and not endanger future work
SA

Mojo

20 years ago I bought a complete bedroom outfit. It cost a small fortune back then but was solid Oak and made in the USA. The manufacturer was called Bentwood. No idea if they are still around or not. Bed, nightstands, armoire, dresser, mirror, etc.

It has held up exceptionally well. I cannot remember what it cost back then but $ 5,000 sounds familiar. Both my kids want this outfit someday. It is very ornate, hand carved and I cherish it.

Is Bentwood still around and do they still make high end furniture ?

Mojo

byhammerandhand

Almost all my business is/was on newer furniture.   Lots of retailers, delivery companies, warranty work, and "protection plans."   So almost all of it was either just out of the box or less than 5 years old.

( Btw, I "semi-retired" a couple years ago, and let go of all my customers except one.     But in the 15 years I've been in business, I  think about 1/3 my retail customers had gone out of business.  Some more than once.)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison