Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 01:53:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Member introduction

Started by Corjen1, February 18, 2016, 02:56:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Corjen1

February 18, 2016, 02:56:03 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:33:34 pm by Corjen1
Hello All, new member here.... want to give a bit of an introduction before I just started blasting questions!!!

first I wanted to say thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

My Name is Cordell, I have been dabbling in marine upholstery for about two years.  I started during the restoration of my 1968 Glastron GT160. Wanting to do everything my self, being cheep and the encouragement of Blue flamingo (member on here) I got a machine, started practicing, studying and watching videos.

Eventually people started asking ....hey,  can you do this or that. Eventually evolved into a side job of sorts. I have only done marine upholstery and a couple motorcycle seat. I have had no unsatisfied customers, but I realized that I have much to learn.... thats why Im here. Please forgive the newbie questions I will ask. I will try to research the forum before posting.

I started out with 1953 Morse 4300 fotomatic...

then I got this 1949 Singer 15-91

Recently I got this Juki 562

Cordell

SteveA

Welcome Brother - pull up a chair - Cheap - you're in the right place ! Nice work pictured there - I like that singer - mine is 31-15 w/clutch motor.  I'm a woodworker and be sure this site will produce dividends - it has for me. 

SA

Darren Henry

Hi Cordell. Welcome to "the fire".

QuoteI will try to research the forum before posting.

We are very personal here. Like Steve said---we often just hang out too. Put your hat back on and draw a chair up by the fire. We're all laid back.

Your results using those machines are commendable.  I've got  a 31K 20 with a rolling foot that I used to use to make shoes and I know how hard it is to use that where a walking foot is the answer.

Photo lost. I probably posted it before if you wan to go through my "previous posts"
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Welcome Cordell. I'm not a boat guy but that looks like a really nice job you did there.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

Welcome to the forum.

I do furniture upholstery and it's my impression that marine and motorcycle seats would be harder to learn.

I have a Juki LU 562 also and I love it. From the rather small amount of paint worn off your machine I'd guess that your machine has been well kept. I'm sure someone on here will eventually point out that the Juki LU 563 has a bigger bobbin than the Juki LU 562.

Best wishes on your growing business.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

nice reALLY Great job restoring the glastron  not just the seats but the wheel dash ...  I USED TO HAVE A MERC LIKE THAT.

cheap heck I cant afford me

www.bayviewcanvas.com 

brmax

Hey Good to see ya, Nice boat work there and it looks like some fun this summer.
Welcome to the show!
I will check out the build up there, had to rush out, and caught the nice mask man aint that fun.
later
Floyd

Corjen1

Thanks for the welcome...are you guys seeing the pix? they were there yesterday, but now Im not seeing them now??? Using photobucket like I do on other forms. Maybe it because Im a newbie here...

brmax

yes nice pics, gonna check out the vid later after work
Floyd

Corjen1

Quote from: gene on February 18, 2016, 07:15:21 pm
Welcome to the forum.

I do furniture upholstery and it's my impression that marine and motorcycle seats would be harder to learn.

I have a Juki LU 562 also and I love it. From the rather small amount of paint worn off your machine I'd guess that your machine has been well kept. I'm sure someone on here will eventually point out that the Juki LU 563 has a bigger bobbin than the Juki LU 562.

Best wishes on your growing business.

gene

Thanks Gene, the machine came out of an upholstery shop that went under. It had sat for more than a year and was absolutely filthy. I spent 2 days cleaning and re lubricating.  I dont know if it was heavily used or not, at this point I have only had it a few week and Im still trying to learn the machine.

baileyuph

Your are well on your way "C"!  Nice work on the boat, can't believe you did that with a drop feed machine.

The little 562 will right up your alley, by now I suspect you are enjoying it capabilities.

Nice to read your post,

Welcome,

Doyle