Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 12:55:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

portable air compressor.

Started by kodydog, December 09, 2011, 05:28:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

December 09, 2011, 05:28:42 am Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:31:06 am by kodydog
I,m buying one tomorrow for a remote job I'm doing. Probably 2 gal. Any recommendations. Hope to catch something on sale for Christmas.
Is this something you would buy on cragslist?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

It always seems as though items like that on Craigslist are priced a little too high for the trouble of driving 20-50 miles.
When I recently had a remote job to do, I tried one of those Co2 cylinder kits from Lowes. The box claims that you could get 1200 shots out of one cylinder. TOTAL BS! I found myself changing cylinders about every time I reloaded staples.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

I've fixed two DeWalt pancake type compressors for friends. One has only been used once before and the regulator broke, the other maybe 5 or 6 times and it broke a reed valve. When I ordered the parts, they sent me a new retrofit kit to fix the problem that they evidently had. Both were fixed easy enough, but a virtually new compressor better had perform much better than that. The only reason the owners didn't return them was that they bought them and never used them until after the manufactures warranty ran out.

kodydog

I've never seen a Co2 kit. I'll steer clear of those. Several years ago I bought a no name pancake type for $60. 1-1/2 years later the barring in the motor wore out. Cheap. I'd like to avoid that this time. Can I get anything good for around $100?

SHHR

I won't recommend a brand name here since I know more about large industrial type compressors rather than the portable type. Although, I said I won't recommend a brand I will say Bosch and Bostitch seem to be popular. With the economy still in the hole and builders aren't working as much right now, I would think you could find a decent deal on brand name compressors in local pawn shops or flea markets. The good thing with them, they probably at least will let you hear and see it run for proof of it working at that time.
Kyle

bobbin

December 09, 2011, 12:16:39 pm #5 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:10:11 pm by bobbin
I have a Porter Cable pancake style compressor, but it's a 6 gallon (thought not very heavy).  It does everything I need it to do quite handily (pneumatic stapler, but most importantly it powers the solenoid that runs the automatic tack and presser foot lift on my Juki).  

Next move is to lose the hose and use PVC pipe to get the air where I need it with varied connection points along the line.  And buy a nice rubber hose, the two I have are stiff and a pain to deal with when using the stapler (they were wicked cheap)!

byhammerandhand

December 09, 2011, 01:40:20 pm #6 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:43:37 pm by byhammerandhand
I have been using one of these regularly for on-site work for the last 3 or so years.   I love it.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=maxus+air+compressor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11202293330517902015&sa=X&ei=jn_iTtvTGOnw0gHX4NDVBQ&ved=0CJUBEPICMAI

Previously, I used a Porter Cable twin tank.  I scared more than a few cats when it kicked in.   It was also a montster to haul up and down the steps.   I also had a small Campbell Hausfeld compressor.   it worked fine, but the engineers at C-H told me it was not designed for more than occasional use.  I passed it on to my son in law who said he would use it to "blow things up," and by that I  am hoping me meant inflation.

It is relatively quiet, as far as compressors go, though it is an oil-less.

The tank is aircraft aluminum that means two things:
- The whole unit weighs 23 pounds, not the 40 or so that a steel tank would
- The water drain comes out crystal clear.  No rusty water dripping and spraying.

I use a 15' rubber hose.  It  wraps easily around the handles.

A buddy of mine has the next model up and he likewise loves it.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Quote from: bobbin on December 09, 2011, 12:16:39 pm
I have a Porter Cable pancake style compressor, but it's a 6 gallon (thought not very heavy).  It does everything I need it to do quite handily (pneumatic stapler, but most importantly it powers the solenoid that runs the automatic tack and presser foot lift on my Juki). 

Next move it to lose the hose and use PVC pipe to get the air where I need it.  And by a nice rubber hose, the two I have are stiff and a pain to deal with!

I have the same one and have used it to death. Its ten years old and it still runs excellent. Great compressor. You can get them at Lowes.

Chris

Mike8560

When my old big unit broke this summer I went to lowes and bought s lobslt 2 gallon it Hans on the wall and can be easily removed and has feet i ppa. To use it mobile on a boats interior. Soon
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/20703609.jpg

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on December 09, 2011, 12:16:39 pm
I have a Porter Cable pancake style compressor, but it's a 6 gallon (thought not very heavy).  It does everything I need it to do quite handily (pneumatic stapler, but most importantly it powers the solenoid that runs the automatic tack and presser foot lift on my Juki).  

Bobbin your going to have to fill me in about this. Air compressor hooked to your sewing machine? Never heard of such a thing.

Sounds like the Porter Cable comes highly recommended. $99 for the twin tank at Lowes. I'll check it out.

Thanks all.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 09, 2011, 05:36:51 pm
Sounds like the Porter Cable comes highly recommended. $99 for the twin tank at Lowes. I'll check it out.

And the great thing is, you can return it after the remote job if you don't like it. ;)
Try that with Craigslist.

kodydog

True that Sofa.
Hammerandhand your compressor looks sweet too.
Here's what I found at Lowes

Porter Cable              1 hp  1.5 gal   ? psi   $79
(electric)

Kabalt                      1 hp   2  gal    135 psi  $129
(electric)   

Campbell Hausfeld      .33 hp  2 gal  100 psi   $99
(twin tank)

Porter Cable
(pancake)                 .88 hp   6 gal   150 psi   $159    (I think like Bobbins)

The ones that say electric are all in a tight little plastic case. To me they look kinda cheap.

I don't think 100 psi or less is going to cut it.

I know the tank size is important as to how often the thing will turn on and off but...

Why is the HP important? Life of motor?

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 09, 2011, 06:32:38 pm
Why is the HP important? Life of motor?

Yeah, life of motor. And I would think that HP and tank size go hand in hand. For instance, how long would it take a 1/2 HP motor to fill up a 60 gallon tank?

bobbin

I have a Juki 1541N7.  It is fully automatic; servo motor, automatic backtack, presserfoot lift, and undertrimmers.  The solenoid that fires the automatic backtack and presserfoot lift function is pneumatically powered, so you have to have a compressor to supply the air to a regulator on the machine, near the control box and motor.  As I understand it, Juki switched to the pneumatic system after previous models burned out the electronic lifters repeatedly.  I think it has to do with the heavy duty nature of the model in question.  My other Juki (9010 SS) is a lighter duty, needle feed, full function machine and doesn't require pneumatics to power the automatic functions. 

Mojo

Kody:

Go with the porter Cable pancake compressor / 6 gal. It is worth the extra money. Since it has a larger tank it wont run as often either.

These little compressors are loud as hell and annoying. :)

Chris