Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 07:18:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Killer Stuff And Tons Of Money

Started by kodydog, December 04, 2011, 07:53:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

December 04, 2011, 07:53:14 am Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:26:18 pm by kodydog
If your a treasure hunter this book by Maureen Stanton is a good one.

She tags along with a professional antique dealer and tell clues and ideas of finding hidden gems at flea markets, auctions, yard sales and antique stores.

Through out the book she inserts stories about the history of antiques and what to look for when hunting.

She tells one story of Gustav Stickley. Before he was well known he worked at the Auburn, NY state prison teaching inmates woodworking. While he was there the electric chair fell over and he was asked to design a new one. She says its beautiful and is now a collectors piece. Weird.

She tells about a family register dating back to 1780 worth $10,000 to $15,000. Her mentor picked it up for $2000. Interesting.

The book came out this year so the prices are real. I got my copy at the library.

Its a fun book and easy to read, easy enough for ME to read anyway.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

jojo

Thanks for the recommendation...I'm always looking for a good read! This will be my next Kindle purchase.

ibstitchen

Thanks for this recomendation.  The wife & I go to at least 3 antique auctions a month.  I know I will enjoy reading this book. I just ordered it!!

kodydog

Do you buy and sell Furniture Ibstitchen?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ibstitchen

Yes, I buy and sell vintage and antique furniture. I live in Victoria TX.. It's almost the same distance from Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.  There are several auctions in and around these cities so the wife and I try to at least make 2 - 3 auctions a month. My main income though is my upholstery business.  Buying and selling antiques is a hobby/sideline income. Something we both enjoy and are still learning about.