Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 07:58:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Attaching velcro to seat bottom

Started by kodydog, November 08, 2011, 11:18:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

November 08, 2011, 11:18:16 am Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:45:38 am by kodydog
A furniture store asked me to check on a complaint their having from a customer. Turns out they are a good customer of mine also.

Among several problems with the leather sofa is the cushions keep sliding out. The bottom of the cushion is a slick black fabric. The customer told me they were supposed to have Velcro on the bottom. When I talked to the furniture store owner and he was very surprised there was none. I told him Velcro is usually sewn on before the piece is assembled. I told him I could glue some on but we both agreed this probably would fail. The seat front is built up about 1" higher than the deck so I don't think this is the problem

Does any one have any other ideas.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

DBR1957

Get some of that rubbery mesh that's used to keep area rugs in place.

If you want to go with the velcro I would think unzipping the cushions and sewing
a piece on would be easy enough but the problem is the other side. Make up some
tabs with the opposite of what you put on the cushions. Slip in under the backrest
and staple to the frame.

I have a sofa that was done this way with snap hooks instead of velcro.

Staplpulr

Velcro will fix the problem. Just hand stitch a 2x6 strip to cushion and deck. I used to do this allot when I worked at a large furniture retailer

Mike8560

Is the other half of the velcro hook or the loop sewn to the deck of the sofa and not on the cushion?

kodydog

Thanks, all good suggestions.

DBR, Yes I can unstuff the cushion and sew the Velcro on.

Staplpulr, then I can hand sew the other half to the deck.

I'll run this by the store owner, of course he'll say, what ever you think.

Mike there was no hook or loop on the cushion or deck.

dmayo

Sew the hard part of the Velcro to the seat deck and the soft side to the seat cushion, over time the hard Velcro will wear a hole in the lining and it's easier to change the lining on the cushion than on the seat deck. We had a lot of problems with this at the plant i worked at.
Darrell

kodydog

Thanks Darrell I'll keep that in mind.

Its good to see another manufacturer worker on this forum. I cut my teeth in Hickory, NC from 84 to 90. Although we do our share of bashing new furniture I wish we had more factory workers on this site to give us their view on what goes on in manufacturing. I've always found production work fascinating. Its a lot different than rebuilding one piece at a time.

lruthb

I like the tab and hook at the back side of the cushion.
I take the outside back up enough to work on the back rail. Then unstuff the cushion to sew in the hook tab and  over reenforce sew. ( the back of the cushion will not show ) I figure my distance by meauring from cushion to rail minus 1/2 inch. After trying all the methods posted The hook and ring has worked and lasted the best for me.

kodydog

Thanks Iruthb, I'll give that as another option. It would be cheaper to do the tab and hook as I will have the outside back loose already to fix another problem. But I think the customer has a mind that Velcro is the way to go seeing that's what was originally promised.

I made sure to tell the store owner these are all just suggestions. I'm  trying to fix a design flaw and what ever I do doesn't forever make this my problem. He is very understanding and said the manufacture will probably have me do the job.