Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 05:48:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bobbins for Juki 563

Started by kodydog, September 08, 2011, 06:42:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Help please. I can't find what size bobbin to get for a Juki 563.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

R mine I can also use s aller m and. G

Mojo

Kody:

I use an M bobbin. It interchanges with my Chandler which makes it very nice.

I bought mine from here - decent quality and awesome price. Good e-bay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290588917045?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_986wt_952

Chris

kodydog

Thanks all but now I'm really confused. Needles link says U. Mike says M or G. Chris I remember you posted that link before but wasn't sure what machine you ordered them for. Think I'll make that $18.95 bid on the 100 M's like you suggested.

Thanks all. Happy sewing.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on September 08, 2011, 06:03:30 pm
Thanks all but now I'm really confused. Needles link says U. Mike says M or G. Chris I remember you posted that link before but wasn't sure what machine you ordered them for.

Gregg can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he explained that the 563/1508 take a "U" metal bobbin, but people that use factory pre-wounds just order "M" for all  big bobbin machines.
I made the mistake of ordering M bobbins  that were listed for the DNU 1541 from that same e-bay store, thinking they would work on my LU 1508. They didn't. They spun too freely in the hook, and tangled up.
I guess there's a slight difference between a top load big bobbin, and a bottom load big bobbin. The E-Bay store exchanged them for me. I ate the $6 shipping, since it was my fault for not ordering the ones that were specified for the 1508.
Mike's right, G bobbins will work. But there's no point in having a big bobbin machine, if you're going to run small bobbins in it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Doc:

I wonder if it has anything to do with any changes they possibly made with the 1508. I have ran a dozen M bobbins through my 563 so far and never had a problem. No tangles, no mess, no feed problems.

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

I guess I might as well get in here & let you guys know the G bobbins are the small ones for the 111w,226 type of machines,the M are for the 206,406,1541 machines & the U's are for the 1508& 563's.If your having a problem with tangling & etc there's some little star springs that are made to set in the bobbincase & they put alittle tension on the bobbin to stop the backlash that occurs when  your sewing & stop fast,they are made for both large & small bobbin machines.
These springs are also nice to get if your using a smaller bobbin than what your supposed too.
HTH
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

Bob:

Why do my M bobbins work well in my 563 ? I noticed the previous owner has a felt like circle of material that the bobbin sets on. Could this be the reason ?

Chris

gene

Hello,

This question was answered only a few weeks ago.

I have an L 562. G bobbin.

Do you remember my extremely funny and clever joke about how you L 563 folks who us an M bobbin: "It's not the size of the bobbin that counts. It's how you use it???"

Come on! I'm still laughing about that one.

My sewing guy here in town said to put the bobbin in the opposite way that the instructions say to do it. This causes a bit more tension and helps to eliminate the thread backlash that Bob mentioned. I do this and so far I have never had thread backlash.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I never had a backlash problem while using up all of my G bobbins when I first got my 1508. Nor did I ever have that problem on my 562.
Quote from: Mojo on September 09, 2011, 04:30:58 am
I noticed the previous owner has a felt like circle of material that the bobbin sets on.

I think that circle of felt is doing the same purpose as the little stars that Bob referenced.
After reading Bob's post, does that mean I'm correct in assuming that there is a slight difference in size between top, and bottom load bobbins?
What orginally confused me was the fact that both machines use the same "M" pre-wounds. I guess the paper shell has more drag, less backlash. But I've sworn off pre-wounds forever. I got tired of constantly re-adjusting that tension leaf screw on the bobbin case.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Many moons ago my wife took an industrial sewing class. The instructor (Shorty) showed her how to easily adjust the tension just right to get that perfect stitch on different types of fabric. A stitch that pulls exactly the same on the top as it does on the bottom.

The top stitch, of course, gets adjusted with the tensioner. But the bottom stitch can be tweaked also. Shorty showed her how to take that piece of paper that comes on the top and bottom of some prewound bobbins and place it either in the top or bottom of the bobbin casing when installing the bobbin, this adds just a little tension to the bottom thread. Need more tension? Add another piece of paper, or add a piece on top and bottom. You can mess around with it to get that perfect stitch, which is especially important when your doing top stitching. Of course this is for anal sewers which most of us here are.

To make a short answer long, I think this is what that piece of felt like material is for.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

September 09, 2011, 08:02:29 am #12 Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:29:13 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

LU-563 & LU-1508 Series metal bobbin is B9117-563-000
Prewound size is U

Mojo,

People put paper, cloth,  or items we sell  such as bobbin case stars mentioned, or thin coil springs.

As the bobbin becomes larger, or heavier, they are more prone to over spin at an abrupt stop, or when an operator yanks or pulls good from machine in a jerking motion.

This is why many underbed trimmer full function machines come with aluminum bobbins, to reduce the bobbin weight, again, to prevent over spinning.  

Over spining the bobbin, at worst, can jam up your bobbin, and create inconsistent bobbin case tension.  If it's jammed, usually it's because the threads inside the bobbin case are tangled up, and machine will sew a few good stitches and then lock jamb.  

You can view the bobbin case stars on my website here; http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/6d7a48eea33a46f6807eb60808e90efb
You can view the Idling Prevention Spring here; http://store.keysew.com/parts/sewing-parts/107-23500

Mojo

I think what I will do is leave the thing alone and not add anything to the case..........lol..... It sews great with M bobbins and I have never had a tangle. I really like having one type bobbin for both machines versus having to buy and wind different bobbins for the Juki and the Chandler. Makes my bobbin winding parties more fun and easier.  ;D

Thankfully there have been no issues with the M on my Juki. I am now wondering if the previous owner added that felt disc so they too could use M bobbins. I know the vast majority of their machines were 206's and because attachments ( feet, etc. ) are interchangeable between the two they decided to do the same with bobbins.

Either way the M bobbin works great in the 563. But out of curiosity what is the difference between the M and G bobbins ?

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

Chris,the g's are 1/8" smller than a M,I have some people that use G's in a big bobbin machine because they have some G machines that they use.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397