Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 03:52:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Just Some Fun Stuff

Started by kodydog, April 04, 2018, 06:58:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Two years ago my ex-boss stopped by and asked if I was interested in coming back to work for him. Even though I declined it always feels good to be wanted.

Yesterday Rose's past place of employment (Fl Dept Of Revenue) called and asked if she would be interested in returning. One main reason she left is the state of Florida has a freeze on all pay raises. A person can stay in the same job for 10 years and never get a raise. No mater how proficient you get in that job. She was flattered they called and for a minute I wondered if she would accept. We are very busy and some good things have been happening lately. But I wonder if we were in the middle of one of those bustle back recliner jobs if she would have a different view point. I'm glad she is staying, I hate that (running the business) part of upholstery.

Speaking of recliners, We did this one about 3 weeks ago and Rose told me, that's the last one, we'll never do another. Tuesday a couple stopped by in need of a roomful of furniture recovered. And yes one piece is a recliner. Rose sent an email quote and bid the recliner high. They wrote back and said they were looking for fabric. :o

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X8vnx2BixZLU5aW22
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Kody wait till they find out how many coffee breaks you take while on line chatting with the rest of us loafers !  I'm not going to be the one to tell Ms. Kody that recliner has to be done in stripes :)  Anything - any letter or dept with the word revenue in it puts me on edge but no complaining having a hook in those kinds of places - I'm sure Ms. Kody would rather stay then to listen to you complain about how hard you'd have to work in her absence
SA

65Buick

Kody it for sure feels great to be asked to come back. I was recently asked to work for a co. in my past linev of work. The answer was no - being that I worked so hard to get out of that industry. (Ag)
Upholstery is hard work too - but I like it because you can  stay in one place and do it.

The recliner - I cringe at that. In my opinion the only ones worth doing are the older ones and maybe some of the newer ekornes et al. Personally I would love to do a Milo Baughman for my own house. Totally worth it.

gene

Seriously, I really appreciate your post on the recliners. I had been thinking that I was the only one who was having trouble with these. I can mark and match the pieces of fabrics as templates, sew everything together, and it's still doesn't look very good. I've gotten to not follow the old pattern on some.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Its tough. When the old pattern is all stretched out, and they always are, its hard to use it for a pattern. The only thing harder would be starting from scratch. Rose swears they make the pattern more difficult than necessary just so upholsterers won't recover them. It defies all logic when you figure in manufacturing they usually try to keep it simple.

MinUph

Some of the newer pieces, mostly motion furniture has become very pattern oriented. And sewing them together is a large challenge. Many pictures while taking them apart. My last seamstress was from NC and did many years of factory sewing. She said it was handed to her all in order and all pinned to where to sew first. So the cutting room did all the figuring out for her and that was probably all done by the CAD room before cutting got it and the cutting was done on the computer so it is not as hard on them as it is on us. We are the machines at the reupholstery step. Not easy but still doable with patients and pics. Thank god for the phones we have now. Imagine taking all these pictures and getting them developed. Be a fortune.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

The Yanks will get better - it's not going to snow - my estimates are due - I'm out of yellow glue - 2 cushion cores arrived and I don't know who they belong too - .
Sorry - off topic today - just thinking out loud -
SA

kodydog

Um, you left out the phone is ringing off the hook. So when do you get any work done? :)

kodydog

Quote from: 65Buick on April 05, 2018, 11:20:56 am
Personally I would love to do a Milo Baughman for my own house. Totally worth it.

Speaking of personally, for me it would be a wing chair with an ottoman. And wouldn't you know it, looking around and not a single wing chair in the house. Guess you know who does the decorating around here.

SteveA

Another slow news day - I may just have to work -  but first lunch, then chauffeur the Mrs. to Costco, come back glue an oak chair - the 3rd of 5 -
Dinner, Yanks, Roseann, Hannity, and wishful thinking :)
SA

65Buick

'yanks'

You get sports on you tele?

SteveA

No haven't tried the live streaming on the phone yet and the way the Yanks are going I may do away with my TV.  This way I can say I didn't watch one football game including the super bowl nor baseball but for another reason
SA

65Buick

The wife is a big Dodgers fan. But for years they've had this blackout thing to try to get people into the park. So even if you pay for cable, you might not get the game. Not sure what the deal is with extra sports packages. All I have is an antenna and a roku with hulu. Sometimes if we are very lucky we'll get a game, but it's rare.

SteveA

Good old currency I'm sure will get you those games.  As much as I love baseball I hate the fact that Families can't afford to go to a game.  Make a rule that the first 15,000 stadium tickets sold can only be obtained by school children for $ 10.00 who maintain a B average or better.  These franchises can make it up with TV rights.  Maybe they will stop giving away 100 million dollar contracts to players that produce multiple 5 strike out nights.  The Dodgers - I think they belong in Brooklyn -
SA