Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:04:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Carly Update : )

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, September 23, 2014, 06:45:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I am not really sure what happened.  We had Carly on the Meds that are mixed in with wet food M-F last week.  Didn't see nearly as good a result as the first time.  Saturday she had a really bad morning/early afternoon with pooping/straining.  Bob & I talked and decided that the time had come and we would call first thing Monday for an appointment.  So I was pretty blubbery most of Saturday.  Then the pooping just quit.  She woke me up about 4:30 Sunday morning needing to go out.  She has not been able to hold it prior to that.  The urge would come and if you weren't on the move with her, she couldn't hold it.  But I got her out.  She strained a little but not bad.  She had one other bowel movement on Sunday with just minimal straining.

So, I told Bob that I wanted to hold off on taking her in.  We also got a new sack of dog food as it occurred to me that this all begin around the last time we got dog food.  We get Science Diet for Seniors but I am wondering if we got a "bad" sack or something.  So yesterday we got a new sack, threw out the remainder of the old sack which was fine because we had maybe a week's worth left anyway.  Then for what seemed like the millionth time, we took Carly outside.  Bob rolled her over on her back and I cut all the fur on her backside as well as around her urethra to get all the clumps from where she licks herself as well as where she had a little poop stuck to her fur off.  She was not happy with us for that but a large milk bone fixed that.   However, while we were eating supper she was in the living room rolling around on her back and you could tell she just felt soooo good.  So after the indignity of a hair cut was over, she felt really good.

Anyway, she pooped twice yesterday with no straining and hasn't pooped yet.  Don't know for sure if she is fixed but am hopeful.  Also, not really sure what caused her poop problem.  But if she is fixed, I don't really care.  I am definitely keeping all my fingers and toes crossed though.

Virginia

Mojo

I got as bad bag of dog food once. I could tell just by the color of the kibble that it was probably not good. I fed some of it and they instantly got the runs.

We have switched to a grain free diet now and it has helped our older dog who like Carly strained to go the bathroom. I purged the anal glands and got nothing. I finally gave him some mineral oil which loosened things up. Then we switched foods and he has been fine since.

To be honest I do not trust many dog foods. I refuse to feed any treats that are made in China. There have been repeated recall's on Chinese jerkys, bones and other treats.

Glad Carly is doing well. :)

Chris

SteveA

Great news - CHEERS for Carly.  The only dog treats we use are made in the USA called Charlee Bear -
I think my Wife gets them in Trader Joes -

SA

Darren Henry

Right on Virg. Where she already has a sensitive tummy, it wouldn't take much wrong with that bag of food to cause her grief.

I'm pullin' for her---at that's like 108.4 % after exchange LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Good to here Virgina. You remind me of my wife. I call them, "poop reports."
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on September 23, 2014, 05:35:48 pm
Good to here Virgina. You remind me of my wife. I call them, "poop reports."

LOL, When I was still working in an office, I would take the dogs out right before I left for work.  In nice weather, Bob would be out walking and listening to his MP3 player.  I would call his cell phone and leave him a message generally about which dog had done what outside.  If I didn't get a chance to call him, he would call me at work and ask why I had not left him his "poop report".  It drove his sister absolutely crazy (short drive) that we did this.

Anyway, things still seem to be good, so hopefully no more "poop reports" about Carly.  If it was the sack of kibble they were eating, I don't understand why Jimmy didn't have any issues with it.  Could be that Carly just finally worked her way through whatever she had going on.  Whatever the reason, I am just very glad that she appears to be "fixed".

Virginia

Mojo

Virginia:

All dogs have different tolerances for food, just like us humans. Some of us can
eat fire alarm spicy food while others cannot.

We had a GSD who could eat anything and not get the runs. Our other GSD would
get the runs eating the same thing. It sounds like Carly has a very touchy stomach and is extremely sensitive to bad food.

I am still amazed at how dogs can go out and drink from a disgusting mud puddle and not get sick. if you and I did that we would be spending a week in the hospital
battling an infection. Crazy isn't it ?

Chris