Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:21:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wire on Conical springs HELP??

Started by basevt, January 28, 2011, 11:43:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

basevt

HELP??

I am new to this.

I am in the midst of doing a spring seat and when I took the cambric off noticed the conical springs are not attached to webbing but a wave like wire.  The wire is shapped almost like sagless spring but not so pronouced waves.  The waves are just enought to loop into the bottom of the conical spring.  Once the springs are connected it is bent up to the top rail where it is fastened.  Anyone seen this before and is this something that can be purchased?  I thought at first it might have been a spring bar, but it does not seem to be.

MinUph

Sounds like drop in spring units. They would be factory spec to fit the frame. If they are bad and the frame can hold webbing you can web the base and klinch the springs to the webbing. When these units are made it generally means the factory wanted to save some money or they didn't feel the frame could support the webbing stress. The drop ins place all the stress in a downward motion from the top of the rail instead of pulling the bottoms of the rails toward each other.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

So, based on your supply question, the assumption is the spring system youyou discovered is broken?  I have repaired these but it depends on the specific problem and is it justified.

For replacement, the webbing option has been offered and can be made to work.  Another option, sometimes, is the spring bar system.   It might be worth checking out availability of the spring bar idea.

Furniture springing methods are a very varied issue.  Sometimes nothing is simple.

Keep digging, your learning.

Doyle