Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 01:57:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Winter Covers

Started by Peppy, November 02, 2010, 04:13:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Peppy, that's really scary  :o  Ever consider a harness?  I've had a few close calls but anymore I just refuse to go where I don't feel it's safe.  I'll make the cover if they bring down the old one - like the top of a tuna tower - but I ain't going up there.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Some years ago a "live aboard" guy was shovelling off the floats and went into the drink.  He never emerged.  The water was cold (North Atlantic), the floats were snow covered and slippery, the tide was strong, and he was unable to haul himself onto the floats.  He drowned and his body was recovered some days later. 

Falls can be fatal!  and whenever you are working on a boat in the water you should wear a "float coat".  A float coat provides insulation against cold water temps. along with the bouyancy factor.  If you go into the drink and you're floating the odds are someone will see you and fish you out!!!  Bouyancy will also maintain the liklihood that you'll be able to breathe after you've lost consciousness.  People succumb to cold and drown.  In cold water your body will automatically shut down to preserve life.  If your head is reasonably above  water you stand a better chance of survival.  (Red Cross Life Saving/WSI instructor).  NEVER go to a marina without leaving word at the shop and the office that you are going to work on such&such a boat and should be finished by such&such a time.  Check in and check out.  "Buddy system", you guys!

Mike8560

Sorry about the typing this phone my fingers and eyes don't go together.

JuneC

Excellent advice, Bobbin.  Down here I'm much more worried about hitting the dock on the way down since the water isn't cold, but a proper vest would be a good thing to have on. 

Mike, you doing all your browsing on a phone??  What happened to your computer?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Comcast sete up with a air card and router set up it stopes working nit this weekend thing might change I hope.

Peppy

Ya, if I could only afford a sky hook I'd be set. Falling in the drink wasn't the worry so much as the jagged rocks in front of the water. Would have been a lonely hour waiting for my ride. That was the worst close call in 8 years. A good reminder to be safer I guess. Another reason to keep the phone in my pocket and not with the stereo! Thanks for your concern!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Peppy

Well, I finally got around to making a winter cover for my boat the Filthy Oar.

Don't let it be said I can't do 'quick and dirty'. This took about an hour and a $20 tarp. Fun too! No pattern, no sewing, no scissors even! A free form boat tarp. Just don't tell my customers it can be so easy!

PDQ

November 12, 2011, 01:16:33 pm #22 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:26:41 pm by PDQ
Bringing this one up, no point creating another winter cover topic.

3 piece winter cover for a new 45' Sun Odyssey (Jeanneau).

Top Gun(68mtrs), dutch laced, zipped access on transom, eyelet & spliced.

Couple of quirky areas that need to be dealt with but overall, PDG. :)

bobbin

Very nice, Peppy!  What did you use for the framing that supports the cover?

PDQ

Quote from: bobbin on November 12, 2011, 02:49:35 pm
Very nice, Peppy!  What did you use for the framing that supports the cover?

Not sure what Peppy used tbh.  ;D However, this one has no frame work, just a boom and the odd tensioned line from mast to pulpit.

bobbin

Sorry 'bout that, chief!  ::)  The fit is so snug and nearly wrinkle free I was sure there had to be some extra support under there somewhere.  Very nice work, I think winter covers can be a real challenge. 

PDQ

Quote from: bobbin on November 12, 2011, 04:02:52 pm
Sorry 'bout that, chief!  ::)  The fit is so snug and nearly wrinkle free I was sure there had to be some extra support under there somewhere.  Very nice work, I think winter covers can be a real challenge. 

No worries. :)
They're pretty simple so long as you get your measurements right and transfered to cloth correctly. After that it should all fall into place, but they don't always. :) The most common problem area is the aft section, from the topping lift down to the corners of the pushpit. Get that bit right and then you're laughing. :)

Mike8560

November 12, 2011, 05:40:38 pm #27 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:11:55 am by Mike8560
Nice cover  
I did two Florida wintrr covers ;) patdrns today ;)
normal snap on cockpit  cover and a mooring on a pontoon did the half pattern.
Peppy ha e you yet tried used thebold
shrinkwrapmfor a pattern.  It wouldn't be flat after shrinking but a neat idea

bobbin

I always think in terms of framing to support a winter cover because I live in an area where major snow load is a consideration.

Peppy

November 13, 2011, 06:18:45 am #29 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:51:00 am by Peppy
No Mike, haven't tried the shrink wrap pattern. The local marina does shrink wrapping, so we don't really want to step on their toes. I'm sure it would work if you wrapped it right. This year we only had 2 to build thankfully. We're much deeper into the storage business latley. I'd be happy to never make another.

Bobbin we get enough snow here too. You can build a house on a boat, but that puts stress on the boat anywhere your house touches the boat. When wet snow builds up on the house all the weight is concentrated on the toe rail. Our tarps lay flat on the deck spreading that wieght evenly over the entire deck with no pressure points. Not sure which is better, some people buy our tarps some buy the houses. Our tarps can be put on in an hour or two. I've seen 2 people spend a weekend putting a house on their boat. What do they do with it all summer? I've watched some of my tarps for the last ten years. They seem to do the job.

Thats really nice PDQ. I would like to see you triangulate that tarp. We're making one right now I tried triangulating. I don't have much hope of it working TBH. Well, it will eventually.....100 trips later?

I would much rather trace a tarp-

unfortunatly I don't have a finished picture. Looks like that but twice as big and grey odyssey. 85 yards.

Here's my sewer looking very unimpressed.