Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:23:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wood working and Upholstery

Started by brmax, February 20, 2018, 05:51:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

February 20, 2018, 05:51:42 pm Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:40:11 pm by brmax
  I recall a lot of wood work in the upholstery shop I worked in.  This was a new experience for myself although being around wood working realitives at home was the norm.

In some discussion here there are choices to do more or less in the business end.  I sure dont need to say it is a requirement in typical new upholstery and custom re-upholstery.  I know this all to well as my early employment ( while a student ) task was a grunt and furniture shop helper.  This was my introduction to what all you professionals do on a daily basis.

I am trying to say the wood work part has some great experiences.  Also I can easily say it can be very difficult. What I want to say is always tough when choices have to be made. Some of these would be to have "seriously" separate area from the upholstery shop.  I only mention this as the shop I was lucky to work in did infact have a designated walled off area.  So I stress this as my own places really would need this. I better wind this up it's more than 140 characters and for some this is a pain.

God day
Floyd

ps: i have had to do some routing lately and cleaning dust afterwards upsets my OCD

kodydog

February 21, 2018, 04:40:03 am #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:41:02 am by kodydog
Never a pain Floyd, I enjoy your posts.
What is your and everyone else favorite refinishing product? How many steps to make an old worn leg look like new again?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

My favorite is shellac - in my workshop it has multiple uses for finishing, retouching, and recoloring.  Following that is qualasole and NC lacquer.  It seems to me that no matter how many new finishing products are developed they can't beat Shellac and NC lacquer.
SA

65Buick

X2 on the shellac. Stuff is awesome, cheap, natural.
Have yet to try dyes but overall varnishes I have been less than pleased.

kodydog

I've never heard of Nitrocellulose Lacquer so I looked it up. Turns out Mohawk sells it as clear lacquer. So I have used it before. It is an awesome product. It can be found on Amazon for $12.20, free shipping. But I'm pretty sure professional upholsterers can get it direct from Mohawk. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

brmax

I really dont do much refinishing as many of you know, pretty much a canvas focus.  What interest me is the quality furniture most work on in upholstery.  I now pretty much do whats needed for updating my shop.

The top coats and finishes on furniture, as with home or my past, regards to some / most all non automotive finishes have led me to SW for their options.

I can easily recall some early days I was helping out striping, sanding and if lucky a option to spray ( very limited ) anyway it was laquer that was the standard as I recall.  Now the specfics of the type or brand, I'm clueless.  Now days and a lot older again leads me to first talk to some pros as you all and as most times look to some Sherwin Williams.  I long ago started looking in their industrial spec books and this was a benefit to my job task getting some specs back then.

So Im always up for learning some of the trade wood finish options. With that and a bit of study my choice in a production refinish and repair " for me " would lead to some SW (pre cat) lacquer.  The amounts I would use is limited so this may have to be re-evaluated.

Good day you all
Floyd

SteveA

Straight NC for furniture is all you need.  The pre cats I think of for kitchen cabinets and bathrooms.  The increased durability of the pre-cats to me isn't worth trading away the properties, and advantages of NC lacquer.  If you're sort of new and want to go to pre-cats first play with the straight NC's to learn your way they are so much more forgiving
SA

65Buick

Kody, NC lacquer is what was used to paint cars many moons ago. 65 Buicks coke to mind.
If you've heard about 'rubbing out' a paint job, it's because they used to put on a zillion coats of the stuff and sand in between. This gave the paint a mile-deep reflection.
Of course, now we have clear coats for that purpose.

I like lacquer, but I like shellac better. I imagine soon enough NC lacquer will become a thing of the past.

brmax

Last time I used laquer paint was a 79 short bed chevy, I think it was 1987 and doing a complete with 99S from the maker dupont. I really like the stuff in my younger day. So much so that before the truck I did another complete on my 67 Camaro RS, again using dupont laquer in 86bmw red.
I can confidently swear I could read a yard stick in the finish from the opposite end, yes front to back. Color sanding folks is a serious task. btdt!!

Back to wood finish, its the quick drying and touch up ability with laquer that is nice.  Im not sure what brands can be had local but im sure several here.  Im positive the better clear qualities will be more dollars on the counter for sure. A cost is one aspect always needing to figure getting the product to the shop.

Have a Good day
Floyd