Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 11:02:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

wing backs and chain saws

Started by gene, December 16, 2011, 06:20:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm sitting here waiting to leave for my chiropractic appointment. I do a maintenance visit every few months now. I am still very uneasy with how he twists my body into a pretzel and then does a body slam on me. Anyway...

Lets say a wing back chair is 36 inches wide. I take the horizontal pieces of wood that cause the chair to be 36" wide, and I replace them with horizontal pieces of wood that now cause the chair to be 72" wide. I add any needed additional supports.

I now have a wing back love seat, sort of.

Has anyone done anything like this? Has anyone seen similar type furniture? What are your thoughts about construction, durability, uniqueness, and marketing something like this?

I can get a wing back frame for free on the side of the curb anytime. But if I reupholster this piece, it's a regular wing back chair and doesn't do much in the way of being easy to sell.

Thank you for your thoughts,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

mike802

Hi Gene:  I go the the Chiropractor when ever my arms start falling asleep when I am trying to sleep.  Usually fixes me up for about 6 months.  I have a wing back settee similar to what you mention.

Not the best picture, but everyone "just loves it" if I only had a dollar for every time I heard that one.  Supposedly I have this one sold, I sell far more wing chairs than wing back settees.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

I've had a few ideas over the years about "niche" items. People say they want it.....until it's time to write you a check.
Those wing chair/settees do seem to have some demand.

I once had the idea to take a matching chair and ottoman, and screw them together to form a slightly shorter version of a chaise lounge. A lot of customers thought it was a neat idea, but nobody plunked down any cash.

Are you talking about cutting the chair in half, and splicing in extra width to the middle? Or replacing the horizontal boards entirely? I'd be interested to see if you can charge enough extra labor to make it worth your while. Keep us posted.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: gene on December 16, 2011, 06:20:28 am

Has anyone done anything like this? Has anyone seen similar type furniture? What are your thoughts about construction, durability, uniqueness, and marketing something like this?

gene

Gene,
  Nice thought. Ya never know and if it doesn't sell you have a unique piece. I've done many frame remodels through the years and it is enjoyable. You do need to understand the needs of the frame to make sure it all stays together after its done. If this will be a love seat size a center leg should not be needed but it will make the rails more supported. A center support in the back will be needed so the top rail won't sag on you. Very important to make any cut straight and square and dowel and glue the joints. Hard wood is always best and you can use the 1" stock if you laminate two together giving you an 1 1/2 board. 3/4" just wont make it.
  There are several other factors involved and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have if you decide to go with it just ask.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Of of the first things I learned about chairs is there is hardly anything that is square and straight in a chair.  While it could be done, it's not just slapping in some 2x4 stock.  In addition, you don't know if you have the angles and curves right until you (and a few other people of varying builds) sit in it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

December 17, 2011, 07:25:47 am #5 Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:28:55 am by kodydog
Quote from: gene on December 16, 2011, 06:20:28 am
I can get a wing back frame for free on the side of the curb anytime. But if I reupholster this piece, it's a regular wing back chair and doesn't do much in the way of being easy to sell.

Thank you for your thoughts,

gene

I've bought and sold many wing chairs over the years. The really nice ones sell quickly. The plan Jane ones not so much. If you ever see one like this grab it,

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/thatcher-leather-wingback/?catalogId=83&bnrid=3318529&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Furniture&cm_pla=Chairs_Ottomans&cm_ite=Thatcher_Leather_Wingback_Chair&adtype=pla

Notice the way the wings curve, how their not straight. Also if the wing sets in a little from the arm, when the fabric stretches from the top of the wing to the top of the arm then the arm bumps out a little, that's good also. People seem to look for big wings and high backs. The older the better and of course anything with 8-way springs is good.

If I see a chair like this at a thrift store or yard sale I leave it there.
http://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture/Chairs/Wing-Back Cheep, cheep, cheep.
If someone gave me a chair like this I'd stick it in storage and wait for the day when one of my customers says, I'm just looking for a cheep wing chair.

For resale, unless your last name is Christies or Sothebys, keeping the price down is the name of the game. Looking at Pauls post I can see 6 to 8 hours labor just in frame work and he didn't even mention springs.

Last year I sold a 60 year old chair similar to Mikes love seat. 8-way springs, down cushion, curved seat front. Sold it at an antique store. The buyer didn't like the fabric and had me reupholster it.

Working on this reproduction now,

Nothing fancy about this chair but it has a high back, down cushion and beveled legs. The ottoman and fabric choice (stripe) should help sell it.

PS Gene, PUT THE CHAIN SAW DOWN!!!

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

It just happened again. I didn't notice this thread being too wide for my screen until Kody posted that long Pottery Barn link. It happened the other day when Gene posted a long patent office link.
Anyone else experiencing this?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Me too!

Why does that happen?  Is there any way to "correct" it on my end?

byhammerandhand

Did anyone happen to see the ugly chair as focus of this week's "Terms of Engagement" TV show?

Last summer, I prepped something called a "nest"   It was the largest one person piece of furniture I've ever seen.  It was about the size of a "Tilt a Whirl" car, all upholstered.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Mr. byhammerandhand: I would not just "slap some 2 x 4's together". I would, of course, apply liberal amounts of Gorilla Glue first.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I do not want to get into making chairs.

It's starting to seem like "unique" is what middle aged and younger folks want in upholstered furniture. Anyone else seem to be finding this?

My idea was that the arms are already made, and making the chair wider will make it unique.

I'll post pics if I get to the place of trying this out.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!