Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 04:18:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Women's handbags made from auto upholstery - holiday gift idea?

Started by TheHogRing, December 03, 2011, 04:18:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

I'm not the kind of guy who carries purses, but if I was - I'd probably buy one from Kim White Handbags, which specializes in purses and clutches made from vintage automotive fabric.

A bit odd, I admit. But a unique holiday gift idea to give to that special lady helping you run your auto trim shop.

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/bn2y2gp

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Cool idea, doubt these are made in China, but I've been wrong about that before!

gene

A few years ago I met with a lady who had been in Italy. She was very excited about a similar idea of making unique ladies purses. We talked about my capabilities to cut and sew.

After a bit of market research she said there were too many niche ladies purses flooding the market from all over the world. She gave up on her idea.

How many women would want a purse made from old auto upholstery material?

Have you ever seen a woman's purse that was empty and she was then able to turn it inside out?

I do like the creativity behind the products.

This reply is trade fair and eco friendly.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I have a few ladies in town who will come in from time to time, and pick up small remnants that I've saved for them (usually, novelty tapestries, such as the "Route 66" pattern).
They'll make handbags out of them. It takes them a month or 2 to make a dozen. They display them at an upscale botique, where it may take a year or more to sell all of them. And they have frankly admitted to me that they've seen some better and cheaper online.
It's a way to make a little money, I guess. But I don't think any of them are going to retire early.
While they DO charge a lot for them, their time involved is extensive. One of the ladies told me that if I didn't give them  the material for free, there wouldn't be enough profit in them to fool with.
Quote from: gene on December 04, 2011, 05:44:05 am
Have you ever seen a woman's purse that was empty and she was then able to turn it inside out?

What I want to know is....why do women have to hold up the line at the grocery store while they fish their car keys from the deepest, darkest crevices of their purse?
And that thing they call a wallet. NOBODY in line gets to move ahead until EVERY snap has been snapped, and EVERY zipper has been zipped!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

TheHogRing

Quote from: sofadoc on December 04, 2011, 06:56:40 am
What I want to know is....why do women have to hold up the line at the grocery store while they fish their car keys from the deepest, darkest crevices of their purse?

Annoying as it may be, I think that I can forgive a woman if she's carrying a Camaro purse, lol.

JuneC

What I really like about those purses (oh, I'm a woman and I carry a purse regularly), is that the design isn't overdone.  They do a really nice job of showcasing the fabric with a simply designed clutch or tote.  I'd carry one in a heartbeat.  Pricey for the average Jane, but very nice work.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

TheHogRing

I like your taste JuneC. Post the link on your Facebook wall - who knows, maybe a secret admirer will pick you up one for the holidays, lol.

gene

Unexpected customers for women's handbags made from auto upholstery.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/black%20and%20white%20chair/358317646_9d5ac2eb43.jpg

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!