Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:14:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Winter Cover for 31' Beneteau

Started by regalman190, September 26, 2011, 08:21:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

I just got a request for a winter cover for a 31' Beneteau. But, he wants a light weight material. That should be interesting.

Any ideas of a material to use?
Regal Canvas

JuneC

"Light weight" and "winter cover" just don't go together IMHO.  Maybe Stamoid Light?  Does it have to hold the weight of snow?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

SurLast from sunbrla is ligbt but nit smoothe like stamoindlite and I sure would put it up to a snowload 

SHHR

I did one in Odyssey a few years back that I was skeptical in doing, but the customer was insistent on that material for it being light weight. After three winters it has held up great other than a repair I did on it this spring where a support pole slipped out and some rain pooled in it ripping the material right along the center seam for about two feet. I always try to make a "steep tent" on those so any deep snow should slide off relatively easy.
Kyle

DBR1957

The only thing we call a "winter cover" around here is shrinkwrap.

Whether the material will hold or not really isn't the issue. You have to
make the cover with tall enough supports to eliminate anything that
resembles a horizontal surface. Almost anything will last if it's made right.

In our area people forget about their boats in the winter. I've seen plenty
of boats with covers that held the snow load. Held the snow so well it
pretzeled a bowrail, shattered windshields and tipped boats.

Mike8560

I saw a guy who left his cockpit cover on with snow on it the older cheap weak window frames the snow shattered the glass now had he broomed the snow off as I have done each storm it would have been ok. 

fragged8

speaking of stamoid and winter covers
has anyone got a pic of a Trophy with
either a winter cover or trailer cover  ?

I think you know why :-)

Rich

Peppy

We would make it out of top gun, and lay it flat on the deck. Bagging any cleats or sticky-up bits, and supporting the cockpit with a ridge. Our thinking is that with the snow laying evenly on the deck your not going to have pressure points build up when wet snow sticks to the side of one that looks like a house.

Here's a couple, not on beneteau's though

Anybody ever use the shrink wrap as a pattern to make a winter cover in the spring?

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Thats a good idea peppy I've got a friend we (me and my brother ) shunkwraped his boat a 27 bayliner in oct of 2003 we moved to Florida in 2004 and he been carefuly removing storing it and putting it on each year since. With the help off some shrinkwrap tape. I made his canvas before also and aftrr I left he was I need of new so he bought a machine and made his own copying my old one. I havnt seen it firsthand yet. Only pix

regalman190

I hear you all. Here in Western NY, the words light weight and winter cover do not go together. I'm meeting with the client this week to discuss his wishes further.

Thanks for the info.

Regal Canvas

Mike8560

speAking about regales I had a to price a 27 regal bowrider yesterday for full interior upholstery 3 colors.  It be nice to get it now and make a start to the winter 

regalman190

What year is it Mike? Hope you land it!
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

Vee I didn't notice the year but it's about 10 tops looks like it been sitting covered alot growing mold